Another trip is history

Started by purplepickup, August 24, 2004, 11:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Well, after over 5500 miles together, purplepickup (the truck) and me are back from another "See the USA in your Chevrolet" tour.  The truck ran flawlessly.  I'll never get tired of that roar of the pipes at 75.  Naturally, I took a bunch of pictures and most of the places I was at have already been pretty well covered, but I'll still post a few pictures from my perspective anyway.  I downloaded my pictures last night but haven't had a chance to check them out yet.  

I do want to thank everyone for the great friendships that we share.   My best memories of this trip are the people, not the events.  Of course all the things going on were amazingly memorable too.   All in all, this vacation was awesome even tho I got sick for a few days. Coincidently, Sumner and Hooley got sick at the same time.  We still can't figure out what might have caused it.  Maybe alcohol fumes from the car...maybe buffet food....or maybe just a coincidence.  The best part of being sick is that I stayed at Sumner's place longer than I had planned.  That not only helped me physically, it helped me mentally too.  I told him he should build a couple of cabins and rent them out to those of us that need a therapeutic getaway.   I thank him, his wife, and stepdaughter for making me feel welcome and comfortable.  It was tuff to say goodbye.  The bad part of being sick is that I missed most of the HAMB drags and all the related things.  I was only at MOKAN for a few hours.

I did realize a couple of things while driving on this trip, however, that are a little humbling.  You can only squeeze so much into 24 hours.  There are people that I saw but didn't have time to talk to and there were places I wanted to spend more time at but there just wasn't time.  It seems like the more places I go, the more people I meet, and so it goes.  If it felt like I ignored anyone or was short with a conversation, I'm sorry.  It's that darn purple truck.  People remember it and me from my 75,000 plus miles of travels in it so there is always someone coming up to talk about previous adventures or unfinished discussions we've had in the past.  I'm not bragging or complaining, it's one of the main reasons I love this hobby.  Plastic trophies just collect dust but friends and memories are the real prizes and they last a lifetime.

Another humbling thing I realized is that life is short and my list of things I want to do is too long.  I'm going to sell most of my projects I've collected parts for and focus more on enjoying what I've already got going.  I'll probably keep one project car that might get finished...maybe not.  Those kinds of thoughts are what prompted me to get another car that is mostly finished and running.  It's big enough to take Murf (my dog), all the crap I take on trips, and whoever wants to ride along, but it's still my kind of ride.....inexpensive and unique.  I bought a '61 Rambler wagon at Louisville and between it and the pickup, all my rodding needs should be taken care of.  Just refining the two cars will keep me plenty busy.  The Rambler has a 350/350, 8" Ford rear, Mustang II front, and no rust.  One problem tho..... I have to go to Macon, Georgia to pick it up this weekend and I still haven't put my car trailer back together so I'll be busy this week getting the trailer wired, new wheel bearings, brakes, and decked.

Next week I'll be at the NHRA US Nationals at Indy for the whole week, then NSRA Nats North is the following weekend in Kalamazoo.  Life is great and I want to enjoy as much as I can while I can.  Like Bob Klessig says "Life is NOT a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming, WOW !!! WHAT A RIDE !!!!!"

I'll post some pictures here and there when I get time.
George

enjenjo

George, you are welcome to use my trailer if you like, it's ready to go. If you have a Reese type hitch, I have a coupler you can use too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

PS, glad you're feeling better and made it home OK.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

George,

Another great trip and a great retelling. I'm tickled that you bought the Ramblet. That'll be a lot of fun.

See ya at the Zoo.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

And that was the Chaplan talking. It's good to watch you enjoy yourself and so much better to know that you realized you had.  I get cofused quiet easily but you are one of the few people on this board that I also can remember their first name. Maybe we should have stopped and just eaten at that $18.95 buffet oh well the eggplant was good. GPster

alchevy

It was good to see you again in Louisville and the fact that you remembered me. Did the time there go by fast or what? I only got a chance to meet a few of the RRT folks. If there's any of your extra '31 Chevy Pickup parts you want to sell, my friend with the '31 would be interested. When I brought him back a stack of catalogs (about a mile high), he checked the bag to see if there was a '31 Chevy Pickup door in there or not. The stack of catalogs was high because I lost his list of which catalogs to pick up for him, so I just had to go through the building and ask myself if I was him, which ones would I want. I told him when I got back what happened and because I was so ir-responsible with his list, that he was going to have to go with me next year.
5500 miles in a '31 Chevy Pickup...have you gotten your knees out of your chin yet?
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

1FATGMC

George it was great having you here and you don't need to get sick to spend some extra time here.  We enjoyed having you.

It was also great having Hooley, John, Jim, Dusty, Lillie, and River1 in Blanding also and making the trip to the salt with them.

And of course it was good seeing a lot of you RRT guys on the salt.  Sorry I wasn't much company Monday.

Let's do it again,

Sum

Kerry

Even if our conversation was short, it was very good to see you again and catch up a bit.  I'm sure glad you're feeling better.  

I'm starting to realize just what you mean about all the friends these hot rods bring together.  Life is good!!!

WZ JUNK

I had heard you made it home okay.  Sure is quiet around here.  Lots of my friends have been by though.  I went to MOKAN Sunday evening to pick up the wood trailer.  They had a Mustang/Camaro race going.  It was a whole different crowd from the day before.

We put a picture of the Super Stude in the local paper.  I got a call yesterday to speak about Bonneville at the Lions Club meeting for September.  Do you think I can find enough to talk about to fill up 20 minuets?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rumrumm

You wax philosophical pretty good, George. Nice post--wish I lived closer so I could see you a little more often. Maybe when the car is done next summer I will be getting out and about more. Congrats on great trip.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Ohio Blue Tip

Great story and great telling as usual.  Glad it was a good trip for all.  Plan on next year, more fun, but stuck in Muskegon for now.  See ya at ZOO.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Sean

Quote from: "purplepickup"Well, after over 5500 miles together, purplepickup (the truck) and me are back from another "See the USA in your Chevrolet" tour.

I love Rods of all kinds, but there is no way I could drive all over the country like you guys do. I put off visiting my family out in Kansas all the time because I hate driving, and thats only 400 miles.

Must be something that comes with age... :wink:

rumrumm

There is something intoxicating about riding in your rod, hearing the purr of the engine, the rumble of the exhaust, the feel of the road. Nothing like it. The best thing you can do with your clothes on!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

George,Glad you got the deal put together on the Rumbler!Looked like a pretty good old car....Murf will love it! Glad to hear that you had a good trip out West...well...except for the sick part :( Looking forward to seeing the photos!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat rat

Welcome back. Sorry too hear you were sick, but it sounds as though you made the best of it. Glad to hear you had a ball. See ya in Kazoo
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.