Help,I can't open the trunk

Started by 48ford, February 08, 2013, 08:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I can't get the trunk open on our ford.
Looking for ideas.
It is not locked
The handle turns just like always,but the trunk will not open.
I had Irene push on the trunk as I tried to pull on the handle but it's like the latch came apart.
Took the seat out but there is cross bracing built into the car,so we can't slide inside.
If I have to sacrifice the latch I can get a repop
Any one can help?
Please.
I said please
Russ

kb426

Do you feel resistance when you turn the handle or does it feel like the shaft is disconnected?
TEAM SMART

phat rat

As long as you have the seat out, use a heavy/thick rod from the inside to pop the latch. Also possibly a long screwdriver
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Warpspeed

Agree with Phat...

Attacking it from behind the rear seat is the only way you are going to get in there without doing some serious damage.

First thing is to have a very close look at the boot lock of a similar model, and figure out exactly what bit needs to be sprung, and what you can lever against to do it.

Then a bit of imagination, a homemade tool, a heroic effort, and a LOT of foul language and cussing will usually do the trick.

BFS57

Hello;
Whats worse is I had my hatch back on my 32 Victoria Stick closed and that SOB has no mechanical latches just "poppers" on each side!
This is something you really don't need to happen!!!
Like previously stated lots of choice cursing persued in this repair!!

Bruce

enjenjo

Any chance of unbolting the latch from the decklid with a long extension?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said .....  :idea:

Prolly the easiest way with  no damage or foul language needed .... :lol:

Bob .... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

dirt t 2010

Quote from: "48ford"I can't get the trunk open on our ford.
Looking for ideas.
It is not locked
The handle turns just like always,but the trunk will not open.
I had Irene push on the trunk as I tried to pull on the handle but it's like the latch came apart.
Took the seat out but there is cross bracing built into the car,so we can't slide inside.
If I have to sacrifice the latch I can get a repop
Any one can help?
Please.
I said please
Russ
Here is a picture of a nos 41-48 ford latch notice that one side of the latch is tapered so it will ride up over then drop into a slot to latch the trunk lid. working from the rear seat area a long screw driver or simular type tool insert tool to lift the latch and open trunk. The key only locks the handel and will not cause your problem. Let us know your out come.
I spent most of my money on whisky,women and hotrods. The rest I just wasted!

GPster

Have you left it sitting outside? Maybe it's just frozen closed. GPster

48ford

Thanks guys,
I wi;; get back to it the end of this week.
My 4X4 took a crap and I have the front end taken apart.
I hope I won't need it the rest of the inter,but look at new york.
An I better not work on it thursday,so I will get it open by saturday,
GP good idea,but no It's not frozen over.
I plan on a big screw driver on a stick from the back seat.
Thanks Russ

Arnold

Just a bit of levity.As you rest on this one a bit.
Sorry..I could not resist this.

My father was a lawyer..had a bad client :evil:..cops pulled him over..they wanted to "look" in the trunk..he refused..saying they needed a search warrant..and he wanted to call his lawyer. :roll:  The female cop was pretty mouthy..she said she would call her seargent and he would come with a "search warrant" and a "universal trunk key" that would open ANY trunk. :?:
 Seargent came and asked the guy too. Nope.
 He got a BIG metal bar from the trunk of his cruiser. :shock:

They found the dope.

Toronto taxis for many years have had a flashing amber light on the rear of the trunk lid..for the driver to activate in case of emergency. There is a switch for it IN the trunk..in case the driver gets locked in there.
A driver I knew got locked in the trunk and abducted at gun point. Hmmm.. :) "Oh..I guess I will turn the propane tank valve off" :!:
 Cab comes to a stop..he hears voices..it is the cops.. :D he starts yelling,kicking,banging..cops says he will get him out of there in a second.
Driver arrested..he is STILL in the trunk and he hears the cops say to the perp "WE  should put YOU in the trunk":shock: He hears some LOUD banging on the trunk :!:from the OUTSIDE ..AS he is still inside. :?:  :?:
  Apparently :shock: the driver resisted arrest..assaulted the officers and there was a violent struggle apprehending him and he broke his nose pretty badly when he fell on the trunk lid :lol:

48ford

Got it open with a screw driver taped to a stick.
Ordered a new one.

Thanks guys

Crosley.In.AZ

good to read you opened the lid easier than use of  a gas - axe
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)