Tranny question

Started by EMSjunkie, January 24, 2013, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

Howdy folks! been away for a bit, but I think things are finally gonna settle down in my life............anyway.......
I have an 80 GMC pickup, half ton, SBC and turbo tranny.
had it out on the hiway yesterday, and noticed when I decelerated, or came off idle, a pretty good amout of white smoke was coming out the right exhaust :shock:
I thought maybe it was sucking oil from the valve cover PCV valve. but it appears to be trans. fluid :?  the tranny started slipping, and after adding 2 quarts of fliud, it acted fine, until the return trip home, more smoke, tranny slipping again.
is it possible for the vacuum modulator to go bad, alowing trans fluid to be drawn up the vacuum line to the intake :?:
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

UGLY OLDS

Very possible ... Welcome back ...

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

chimp koose

I have had that happen too. Diaphram  in the modulator split and it sucked up trans fluid. And I too am glad to see you back. Team smart is back at full strength!

sirstude

welcome back,  had some customer's cars years ago do that same thing with the bad modulator.  Sure was a bear the first time, thought it had lost an intake gasket, ripped off the intake, and when I was putting things back together I noticed the tranny fluid in the modulator hose.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

EMSjunkie

Thanks guys :!:  I knew the collective brain trust here would know 8)

you guys still rock :!:
love each and every one of ya! :D

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

phat rat

Hey Vince it's been a long time. Good you remembered us. Thought of you when I came through Amarillo last year but then remembered that you'd moved
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

enjenjo

I had a whole different thought when I saw EMSjunky, and a tranny question :twisted:

To do a quick check, disconnect the vacuum line at the carb, plug it, and take for a drive. You will have to fool with it to get it to shift, but if the smoke goes away it's the modulator
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

EMSjunkie

I had a whole different thought when I saw EMSjunky, and a tranny question :twisted:

easy big boy :!:  :wink:  :wink:

that is a great idea, i will give it a try tomorrow :)

that has to be the only place the fluid could come from, plus the old truck sat for over 7 years without being driven, and now it gets driven 3 or 4 times a week. thanks for all the advice, I really do appreciate it :!:

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"I had a whole different thought when I saw EMSjunky, and a tranny question :twisted:

To do a quick check, disconnect the vacuum line at the carb, plug it, and take for a drive. You will have to fool with it to get it to shift, but if the smoke goes away it's the modulator

:ha)
Don Colliau

Arnold

Quote from: "enjenjo"I had a whole different thought when I saw EMSjunky, and a tranny question :twisted:

ROFL.

May as well change the fluid while you are at it. Just do what you did a few more times..before you came back :lol: "Rustproofing" the exhaust Welcome back

EMSjunkie

Tried Franks tip today, got as far as removing the vacuum line, noticed tranny fluid dripping from it :x

replaced to vacuum modulator, and no more smoke :!:

thanks for the advice and "kind words" 8)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

57larry

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "phat rat"Hey Vince it's been a long time. Good you remembered us. Thought of you when I came through Amarillo last year but then remembered that you'd moved

Hey Jack!!  how you been??

yep, moved from Amarillo over a year ago, kinda miss the big city conveniences, but don"t mis the ex and the headaches!!

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

phat rat

Doing great. Yes being a long ways away from an ex is nice. Mine moved about 200 mi away
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.