Vacation/BBQ/Louisville/Bonneville/Joplin

Started by enjenjo, August 23, 2004, 12:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Well, as you might have noticed, I'm home. Great  vacation, until the cruise control quit working, that was right after the crank broke. :lol:

We traveled 6,500 miles in three weeks in 11 states, attended Louisville Bonneville, and the HAMB drags. The RRT BBQ works like a champ, we cooked 70 lbs of burgers, 20 lbs of brots, and 15 lbs of hot dogs, along with 15 dozen ears of corn, and 30 lbs of potatos. We got enough in donations to pay for all the food, buy some needed accessories, and some left to finance another canopy to take with us to events.

We made use of the BBQ all through the NATS, cooked on the salt at Bville, cooked in the Motel parking lot in Wendover, and saved the day at the HAMB drags after there was a problem with the pig roast they did.

We can grille, boil , and fry just about anything now, we still need a lid so we can smoke stuff, and an oven for Denise to bake cookies in  :lol:

The BBQ project has been one of the funnest things I have been involved in, and I want to thank everybody involved, from the builders, who traveled in some cases, thousand of miles at their own expense, to the ones who donated parts and supplies, to those who sent funds for materials and food.

The trailer picked up a few minor dents, scratches, and scorch marks, well on it's way to a patina that will give us many memories. You can see it next at Kzoo in sept, and next year, who knows where it might show up.

Thanks again to all of you for one of the best vacations in my life.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

MO_JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, as you might have noticed, I'm home. Great  vacation, until the cruise control quit working, that was right after the crank broke. :lol:

We traveled 6,500 miles in three weeks in 11 states, attended Louisville Bonneville, and the HAMB drags. The RRT BBQ works like a champ, we cooked 70 lbs of burgers, 20 lbs of brots, and 15 lbs of hot dogs, along with 15 dozen ears of corn, and 30 lbs of potatos. We got enough in donations to pay for all the food, buy some needed accessories, and some left to finance another canopy to take with us to events.

We made use of the BBQ all through the NATS, cooked on the salt at Bville, cooked in the Motel parking lot in Wendover, and saved the day at the HAMB drags after there was a problem with the pig roast they did.

We can grille, boil , and fry just about anything now, we still need a lid so we can smoke stuff, and an oven for Denise to bake cookies in  :lol:

The BBQ project has been one of the funnest things I have been involved in, and I want to thank everybody involved, from the builders, who traveled in some cases, thousand of miles at their own expense, to the ones who donated parts and supplies, to those who sent funds for materials and food.

The trailer picked up a few minor dents, scratches, and scorch marks, well on it's way to a patina that will give us many memories. You can see it next at Kzoo in sept, and next year, who knows where it might show up.

Frank, you're an excellent cook. Enjoyed the food at Louisville and you really saved us at the H.A.M.B. Drags. I know it's hard work and we really appreciate it. later, Sam

Kustm52

Glad to hear you all made it home ok. Enjoyed hanging out around the trailer at the drags, thanks again for all the cooking and preparation you and Mrs Enjenjo did. I'll see if I can find a "kustom" lid for the big pot..

Brian

Ohio Blue Tip

Hay!  Big Boss Man, I see you been burnen meat on the old grill.  Now I really feel bad I missed the salt and the drags!   :cry: Maybe I can cook some at Zoo, if I haven't lost my spot.  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Crosley.In.AZ

yes sir enjenjo we had a great time at the salt.

there is a $ donation in the mail from Peter Row through me.  He helped me with some Morris Minor parts from down under and told me to send the money to Frank towards the construction costs of the  RRT bbq trailer.

Car people are the greatest.  A guy down in Australia I have never met .... purchasing  &  shipping parts to the USA for me. Then contributing funds toward a bbq trailer built in the USA by a bunch of volunteer folks from several different states.

That is purty dang Kool on all fronts
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Frank it was good seeing you.  Sorry I didn't have more time to visit.  I failed to make it to the motel for some of your cooking due to an illness in the family, me.

Also sorry for your problems on the way home, but it sure is nice to have friends in strange places that can help you out of a jam.  If it wasn't for Hooley and WZJUNK I still might be walking down the Will Roger's Turnpike in Oklahoma.

You mentioned coming this way when you get a chance.  That is what being retired is all about, so I expect to see you in Blanding one of these days.

c ya, Sum

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, as you might have noticed, I'm home. Great  vacation, until the cruise control quit working, that was right after the crank broke. :lol:

A well desereved thanks gos to enjenjo and his family for there extra effort to supply chow for so many after the pig was creamated.(pic)  I know Enjenjo only got to see a few time trials.

rooster & Ford38 & sons

enjenjo

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"Hay!  Big Boss Man, I see you been burnen meat on the old grill.  Now I really feel bad I missed the salt and the drags!   :cry: Maybe I can cook some at Zoo, if I haven't lost my spot.  :lol:

Your spot is safe Ken, I am a poor second. :oops:

enjenjo

QuoteYou mentioned coming this way when you get a chance. That is what being retired is all about, so I expect to see you in Blanding one of these days.

You will, at your most embarrassing moment.

rooster

I hope there were no more surprizes after you left Joplin. After you got home how did you get the trailor off the van. Any one heard from George and how hes doing?

enjenjo

QuoteAfter you got home how did you get the trailor off the van.

still working on that :lol:

rooster

could you take it to work where they have a unloading dock and roll it off and get it down to ground level and then trailor it home.

enjenjo

Just got it unloaded. We made long ramps with planks and horses, and rolled it out the door on to the ground. Took 5 minutes, I just needed another body to guide the wheels on the planks.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"Just got it unloaded. We made long ramps with planks and horses, and rolled it out the door on to the ground. Took 5 minutes, I just needed another body to guide the wheels on the planks.

You know, if you had changed the thrust bearings in that cruise control like I told ya to do none of this would have happened. Glad you got back safely and had a good time too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"

You know, if you had changed the thrust bearings in that cruise control like I told ya to do none of this would have happened. Glad you got back safely and had a good time too.

Charlie

Wife told me if I hadn't taken that side trip to Bville, we could have made it home before it broke. I said no :lol:

I forgot to give a special thanks to SWMBO, she never complained the whole trip, even when I broke the car again, and jumped right in whenever help was needed. Only 12 more years left in the trial period, I may have to marry her for real just to keep her around.

Thanks also to Denise and Gus for giving my family a ride to MoKan, and then back home. They were lifesavers. Denise was social director at the nats, and kicked in with cookies and corn for our feast. I owe them both.