Another Garage Heater ?

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, January 07, 2013, 05:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

OK, I decided to go with propane, now which heater to go with. I have been told either a 45,000 or 75000 BTU unit would work for me. But what brand is the best, every salesman says theirs is the best.
Then theres the salesman who says the ones you get at the box stores you have a hard time getting parts for.
So, my question is which ones work the best and brands, so I can get some ideas. Also, if you had any problems with certain ones.

Thanks

58 Yeoman

Okay, here I go again; my first reply went to lala land, I guess.

My shop is a pole barn with 1.5" styrofoam insulation in the walls, and 6" in the ceiling, all covered by osb, two insulated steel doors.  I bought a 75k Big Maxx from Northern Tool a couple years ago while they were on sale with free shipping.  I finally got to use it a couple days ago, and it worked really well for heating up the shop from 37* to 60* in a short while.

When I installed it, I did have problems with the circuit board (they sent me a new one asap), and one of the transistor looking heat sensors or something, and they sent me one of those.  After I'd installed it, but before I had my 120 gallon propane tank, I ran it a couple times with a 100# tank, and shut off the propane valve before the furnace shut down.  It didn't like that; I had to open the side panel and reset something, I don't remember what though.  Since then, I let it shut down completely before shutting the propane valve.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

phat46

If it were me looking for a new furnace I'd be looking for the best warentee on the heat exchanger. I'd prefer a lifetime guarentee. A lifetime ago when i installed furnaces for a living the place i worked for had the BEST furnaces I have ever seen. The heat exchanger was lifetime guarenteed and we never replaced one. I doubt you'll ever see a Thermo-Flo or a Thermo-Pride furnace but I'd like to find one for a shop furnace, i know it would outlast me!

Arnold

Quote from: "phat46"If it were me looking for a new furnace I'd be looking for the best warentee on the heat exchanger. I'd prefer a lifetime guarentee. A lifetime ago when i installed furnaces for a living the place i worked for had the BEST furnaces I have ever seen. The heat exchanger was lifetime guarenteed and we never replaced one. I doubt you'll ever see a Thermo-Flo or a Thermo-Pride furnace but I'd like to find one for a shop furnace, i know it would outlast me!

My house has an oil furnace about 12 years old. can't remember the brand? Lifetime warranty. The last time it was serviced the furnace repair guy said these only need servicing,cleaning every 2 years. He said it should last forever haha. Pretty simple.He said these were the last good furnaces about that many years ago. Not long after that he said they all went to circuit boards..and they start breaking down after about 5 years..and are junk at about 9/10 years.

tom36

Quote from: "phat46"If it were me looking for a new furnace I'd be looking for the best warentee on the heat exchanger. I'd prefer a lifetime guarentee. A lifetime ago when i installed furnaces for a living the place i worked for had the BEST furnaces I have ever seen. The heat exchanger was lifetime guarenteed and we never replaced one. I doubt you'll ever see a Thermo-Flo or a Thermo-Pride furnace but I'd like to find one for a shop furnace, i know it would outlast me!

Hey, I  had a new furnace put in the house 2 years ago, and the furnace guy recommended a Thermo Flo.  So they are still in business.  Hopefully it will outlast me. :D  :D  :D    Tom...

Beck

A common cause of circuit board failure in the furnaces is voltage spikes on the incoming 110 volt circuit. I fried a few boards in a rental property of mine. I started fixing some of the boards myself. Sometimes it is apparent what fried by looking for the burnt spot. Replace that component.
To solve some of the problems before they start install a surge protector. The cheapest way to do that is go to the local discount store and buy a power strip with a built in surge protector. On the inside of the furnace wire it with a plug. Cut the plug off the power strip and wire it into the box on the side of the furnace. Just plug the furnace into the power strip which is layed inside the unit. Now you can disconnect power easily inside the furnace too.

Arnold

Quote from: "Beck"A common cause of circuit board failure in the furnaces is voltage spikes on the incoming 110 volt circuit. I fried a few boards in a rental property of mine. I started fixing some of the boards myself. Sometimes it is apparent what fried by looking for the burnt spot. replace that component.
To solve some of the problems before they start install a surge protector. The cheapest way to do that is go to the local discount store and buy a power strip with a built in surge protector. On the inside of the furnace wire it with a plug. Cut the plug off the power strip and wire it into the box on the side of the furnace. Just plug the furnace into the power strip which is layed inside the unit. Now you can disconnect power easily inside the furnace too.

I did not know that. Great tip :idea: Thank You :!:

phat46

Quote from: "tom36"

Hey, I  had a new furnace put in the house 2 years ago, and the furnace guy recommended a Thermo Flo.  So they are still in business.  Hopefully it will outlast me. :D  :D  :D    Tom...

Are they still guaranteed for life? I remember how heavy they were, we always had to disassemble the furnace to get it in the house, then re-assemble it. the heat exchanger took two young guys to carry in; the old, usually sectional, heat exchanger we were removing from the furnace we were replacing could sometimes be carried out one handed.

Mikej

You should not use 100# bottles on a furnace. You will use the gas in the tank.

Mikej

I didn't finish the above post. Work interfered....... The liquid propane won't convert to gas as fast as the furnace needs it. Furnace's need a low pressure switch with LP or you can ruin the furnace. Low pressure will soot up the heat exchangers. Bad on 90+ eff. furnaces.

tom36

[

Are they still guaranteed for life? I remember how heavy they were, we always had to disassemble the furnace to get it in the house, then re-assemble it. the heat exchanger took two young guys to carry in; the old, usually sectional, heat exchanger we were removing from the furnace we were replacing could sometimes be carried out one handed.[/quote]

Says on the paper work "limited lifetime warranty"  on the heat exchanger, 5 years on the rest of it.  Tom...

kb426

I just visited Thermoflo's website. Natural gas has a 20 year warranty. Fuel oil has  a limited lifetime.
TEAM SMART