RRT racer

Started by enjenjo, December 28, 2012, 12:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

A few pictures of what we did this time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

Ok, a question,looking at the rear quarters, and where they are marked for the cut out for the slicks, I started looking at the raised detail on the fender.
It came to me that it might be easier to cut it on the detail line, and make a fiberglass replacement that would be Dzused in place.  Then it would jusr be a matter of removing one, and installing the other. Any thoughts?

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"Ok, a question,looking at the rear quarters, and where they are marked for the cut out for the slicks, I started looking at the raised detail on the fender.
It came to me that it might be easier to cut it on the detail line, and make a fiberglass replacement that would be Dzused in place.  Then it would jusr be a matter of removing one, and installing the other. Any thoughts?
That would lead to a tomslik type of idea. Aren't all Crosleys the same in that part of the quarter panel? It might be a good idea to make the molds so that we could supply that panel if that market ever became available. I have a friend that does some fiberglass boat repair and has some fiberglass acid vessel repairs at local industries. I talked to him at one time about making a fiberglass mold for a front end and he suggested using a high density sprat foam (like they use for roofing) and shoot the mold over the part to be duplicated and them fiberglass the inside of the mold release surface for strength. GPster

fast401

Could the entire wheel opening be covered down to the bottom of the car for top speed runs (Wilmington and Bonneville)?
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

enjenjo

Quote from: "fast401"Could the entire wheel opening be covered down to the bottom of the car for top speed runs (Wilmington and Bonneville)?

No.We  have to keep the stock rear wheel opening to make class.

Charlie Chops 1940

Seems a shame to cut those good fenders when you need them whole for Bonneville or the mile. Are worse fenders that could have the circle cut out be found...probably a bit scarce, huh?

If a mold is pulled from the stock fenders, then each mold could be radiused, then split into two parts as it look as if there wouldn't be enough to hold the front and rear sections together at the top anyway. It would also take less raw material to make the new sections and only put aside the circle out of the original splash instead of cutting the new "fender" apart and wasting its circle too. Follow?

On the other hand why not finish the pieces need from the first splash...no sense kidding ourselves that someone is out there waiting with baited breathe for fiberglass Crosley parts.

Just some thoughts.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

moose

First question. What is the licklyhood of the RRT Racer making the trek to BVille? If it does what do the rules state as far as how the stock quartersa are attached? Can they be removable?

If so Charlie has a good idea. Find or make quarters to allow the swap to different radius opennings as class allows.

With the current rear axle assy is there room to mount a tire inside the body using the stock opennings?

Tim

unklian

Body panels can be attached, securely, by any method.
Just have to maintain the stock contours, for Bonneville.

So the wheel openings can be can to any size and shape,
to allow changing tires etc, then insert panels attached
to bring the body back to "stock".

GPster

Maybe we should just make the cuts the size of the tubs. Make flanges out on the tubs at the body line so that what's left of the 1/4 panel can be cliped to the tub's flange. Weld an stepped outer edge to the cut-out pieces so that when we need the stock opening the stepped flanges can be slid between the 1/4 panel and the tub's flange and the three pieces can be sandwhiched together with longer clips. Just don't let Denise drill the holes. GPster

purplepickup

Quote from: "GPster"Just don't let Denise drill the holes. GPster
If you're talking about the crooked row of pop rivet holes on the BBQ trailer, I can't let Denise take the blame.  I was the dummy daydreaming while drilling. :oops:
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"
We need to raise some more money to move this forward, I am open to fund raising ideas.

I've got no ideas on that.  Seems we did some brain stormin a year ago and did not come up with much new for ideas
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"
We need to raise some more money to move this forward, I am open to fund raising ideas.

I've got no ideas on that.  Seems we did some brain stormin a year ago and did not come up with much new for ideas

Well, RRT tee shirts were discussed several years ago, but financially I was not able to front the money to have them made. I am in a better position now and can do it if there is enough interest. We would just have to come up with  a price, and possibly using them as an incentive to buy a share. I still have the artwork we came up with at that time.

Your thoughts?

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, RRT tee shirts were discussed several years ago.....I still have the artwork we came up with at that time.

Your thoughts?

Is the art the one phat46 drew?
George

enjenjo

phat46

I believe I stated at the time I did the artwork that I was good with using it for any purpose to raise money for the car. I'm still good with that and if we need any other art type stuff for the car I'd be happy to do it.