Scored

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, December 12, 2012, 05:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

So...I'm standing in line at the credit union today to get a money order to pay for some old car parts, and this crusty, older than me geezer steps in right behind me. I nod and we exchange pleasantries. I'm wearing my SoCal Speed Shop coat and he remarks how he dealt with them when he was at Camp Pendelton in the 50's I said, "Marines", he nods.

So, he told me a bit about cars in SoCal in the mid-50's and that he had a couple Jimmy powered Chevys and a nailhead powered truck. I'm warming up to the guy, and he mentions he had a set of aluminum  nailhead valve covers that say Buick on them. We chat a little about the covers, then he says he also has a cast iron two fours intake and a flywheel. I asked if he was building an engine or what? No, just stuff left from the 60's but he did have an 80's Chevy stepside with a 403 Olds in it at home in the garage.

I thought, well what the hell, you wanna sell the Buick stuff? He says, sure I'm not doing anything with it. Then I'm up to the next teller, then him. So I wait outside and we agree for me to follow him to his place. The covers have been polished and look almost new inside and out, the flywheel is a '64-'66 flexplate that was bolted on but never spun by a starter and the intake was '64 with paint and light hazy rust. He didn't have a price in mind so I made him what I thought was reasonable offer, which he also thought was reasonable, and I hauled the stuff home.

The old guy lived alone in a little 40's bungalow that hadn't seen paint or a woman's touch for many decades. As the two of us stood and chatted in the driveway I couldn't help but think of the old country song about desperadoes waiting for a train. Maybe just a good karma day. What's the chances of us meeting, anyway?

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

oldbobsign

Destiny! Really nice story Charlie, thanks for sharing, it sure brightened my day.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

kb426

Good story. There's some interesting people hiding out there.
TEAM SMART

Harry

I would make sure that he had a good Christmas. too.

moose

Good for you Charlie. Unexpected goodies nad possibly a new Friend!!!

Tis the Season...

GPster

You didn't see her but Carma must have been standing in line between you two. Does he have a computor? we all might enjoy his company. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "GPster"You didn't see her but Carma must have been standing in line between you two. Does he have a computor? we all might enjoy his company. GPster

No, he doesn't have a computer.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

It's funny how fate works and the things that trigger it.  One thing I know is that every split second decision we make forms our future.  Obviously you both made choices that led you to the "score".  Ain't life a treat?!

.....I might be spending too much time alone at the cabin.  Nice story Charlie.
George