Chevy pick up brakes ???

Started by unklian, October 10, 2012, 10:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

1972 Chevy c-10 pick up, what is the preferred
junkyard swap to get discs on front ?

Any suggestions ?

tomslik

i'm thinking 71-up should already HAVE disc's....?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

My '72 had discs on it,  I remember it had VERY heavy rotors. It was a 3/4 ton though.

unklian

Quote from: "tomslik"i'm thinking 71-up should already HAVE disc's....?

That would have been my guess, but the owner says it has drums.

Will double check.

Thanks.

39deluxe

In '71 Chevy went to 5 lug hubs and disc brakes as standard equipment on the C10. Also ball joint size, tie rod size and thread direction changed.

For an older one like a '67-'70 C10 with drums and six lugs the easiest way is to swap the complete front cross member with all the suspension attached. It's a bolt in. You can use up to '87 but the newer ones have a bolt hole or two that will need reamed out a little.

Tom

unklian

Quote from: "39deluxe"
For an older one like a '67-'70 C10 with drums and six lugs ...

Tom

This one has 6 lugs.  Supposed to be a '72.

Strange.

Now I'm wondering if the chassis got swapped for some reason.

papastoyss

Quote from: "unklian"
Quote from: "39deluxe"
For an older one like a '67-'70 C10 with drums and six lugs ...

Tom

This one has 6 lugs.  Supposed to be a '72.

Strange.

Now I'm wondering if the chassis got swapped for some reason.
If it has 6 lugs it may be a 3/4 ton package
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

57larry

71 was the 1st year for disc brakes on the C-10's

unklian

New owner says the grill looks like a '70.
And it came with a '70 owners manual.
But the ownership says 72.

So it could be a mixed bag of parts,
maybe a '72 cab with earlier frame and grill etc.

Mac

You can upgrade to front disc by swapping on everything from ball joints out (spindles, discs, etc.) from C-10's up to `87; keeping your old control arms.
Here's a long thread on Chevy Talk:
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/187532/

There are also many kits available that can include drop spindles, too.
Who\'s yer Data?

wayne petty

this thread makes me think that there might have been a frame swap..

where the later cab with the pink slip was installed on an earlier frame...

please verify the vin numbers on the frame match the vin numbers on the cab..  

and that the hidden vin numbers on the cab match the Vin number of the paperwork...

there is also a partial vin number stamped into the front passenger side cylinder deck..   there are 2 series of numbers. the larger letters identify the engine calibration/application
the smaller letters are the last 8 or last 10 digits of the vin the engine was installed in on the assembly line.. chances are the motor has been changed...

there are a few people who are here.. who might know where the hidden vin numbers are on the cab... please.. use private messages.. to relay the location./ s

lastly.. when curious about cars and trucks you are buying..

google NCIB vin check... you can enter any vin number into it... it will tell you if it is still on the HOT sheet.. and if it has ever been declared a SALVAGE TITLE..

might be a good idea for those with web enabled phones..  to spend the time to find the NCIB vin check link.. and book mark it.. so you can check cars and trucks on the spot..

unklian

Motor is supposed to be a 383, so the block may not be original.
Will look into hidden VIN numbers.

Searching for NCIB right now.

50mercfan

look at the door panels 72's have an abs plastic door panel with built in arm rest. all the others have flat door panels. also, the 72's have a screw hole in the door under the wing window.. the 71 and 72 have an egg crate grill. look at the inside of the glove box lid. there should be a spid sticker there with all the options for the truck.

river1

Quote from: "wayne petty"..

google NCIB vin check... you can enter any vin number into it... it will tell you if it is still on the HOT sheet.. and if it has ever been declared a SALVAGE TITLE..

might be a good idea for those with web enabled phones..  to spend the time to find the NCIB vin check link.. and book mark it.. so you can check cars and trucks on the spot..

That should be NICB vin check :|]

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.