New record.

Started by kb426, September 25, 2012, 10:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Today, the original battery in my 2002 Suzuki DR650 died. I had a new one on the shelf waiting to be filled and charged but I've never had a battery last 10 years much less in a bike. The new one is in and charged. I certainly don't expect  it to last any where near as long.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

The battery I replaced in my Marlin last week was installed in 1997, which made it 15 years old.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Do you guys use battery maintainers on your seldom used stuff?  

I do, and batteries definitely last longer for me.  I think part of it is because of better charger and battery technology.  The battery we put in enjenjo's car last week was on a cheap Harbor Freight float charger for about 5 years after taking it out of a car I scrapped, and it still started his big block without struggling.
George

50 F1

We have a 1993 Lumina Z34 with 12,000 miles on it. It has been inside and on a battery tender since almost new and it starts all the time. It has the original battery.

sirstude

My 2001 GMC still has the original, and it has even been on it's head once.  I bought it that way.  Keep thinking I ought to replace it before winter, but it has been a lot of winters so far.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Arnold

I NEVER had even ONE battery last the warranty period! From 1970 to..
Untill several years ago. Batteries would last me at the most about 3-4 years. Never,ever 5.
I have owned,driven a huge number of vehicles! I do not know what has changed??
My work van which I bought used cheap in 2009..never even looked at the battery..I cringed in 2011 when I saw that it was already 11 years old! I replaced it immediately. My 2001 Ford Focus when I took it in for someone else to service because I was too busy..tested the battery and said it was fine..I asked how old it was and they said it was the original..in 2011..I said "get that out of there".
I have talked to lots of people who have 10/11 12 year old batteries in their vehicles. I have also talked to lots of people who have always had batteries pack it in after about 3-4 years. I listen to a huge,poplular car show..where the host has been voted the best garage in Toronto for 10 years now..he says they last about 4 years.
I just do not know why some people or some vehicles the batteries don't last long. Some people commute in nice weather..in the day time..no accessories on..their cars are kept in warm,dry gargaes..their cars battery starts their car twice a day..their batteries last a few years. Others..really,really use their batteries..and they last forever!
I have also talked(and had the experience) to a disproportionate
number of people who when their battery packs it in..their alternator is not far behind

enjenjo

Last spring I took my 2000 Bonneville in for service, and they noticed it still had the original battery in it. I had them replace it because it is difficult to get to, under the rear seat.

In 1965 my dad bought a new Buick, for some reason it had an Autolite battery in it when he got it. It still had the same battery in it when I scrapped the car in 1976. I bought a new 1966 nova, the battery on it froze up and broke out one side the second winter I had it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

I use the battery tenders from harbor freight on our old Lyman boat.
I use one for each battery.
The old boats leaks around the shaft,and rain get in the top.
We have automatic pumps on her,and I never have a dead battery,all summer.
(knock on wood) as we are getting set to pull it soon,We have very low water this year.
I just had to replace the battery in our 06 f150 truck,and last spring I had to put one in Irenes 99 ford windstar. The windstar lasted a lot longer than the truck.
Russ

junkyardjeff

I had a Autozone battery that was in my 37 Chevy p/u last 10 years and my dad had a 6 volt in the 55 Ford last almost 20 years and that was in the days before the battery tenders.

Rrumbler

My take on batteries is that the average one is going to last three to five years.  Sure, there are those exceptional ones, I have had a couple of those; and I have had a few real lemons, too.  I had a couple of fairly expensive  ones in a couple of my work trucks that didn't last any longer than the cheaper ones.  Now, I figure  if I get five years out of a five year warranty battery, I got my moneys worth.  I buy the one with the highest ampacity rating I can get for about a hundred bucks from my local OReilly's/et al, and run with it.  The last one croaked a month short of the five years, and they gave me a thirty dollar adjustment on the new one, so it cost me just sixty bucks; not too bad of a deal, all things considiered.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.