Can a bad axle bearing make a squeek noise

Started by junkyardjeff, September 13, 2012, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I put a used rear end in my 88 full size bronco and I hear a squeek noise,it will only make the noise a couple times in a half block when the vehicle is cold but no noise when hot. I checked every bolt on the rear end tonight and all is tight just in case I,left something loose,its definately a metal to metal noise but dont last long enough to determine what it is and no other noises in the rear end.

moose

I assume you checked the fluid level after it wasinstalled. How about the brakes? wear indicators can make a squeeking noise.

moose

junkyardjeff

Full of lube and it got the new brakes from the old rear end,it did not make the noise with the old one so I am going to pull the axles and see what is going on since i dont know the mileage on it.

wayne petty

dry U Joints will make a squeak. squeak squeak as you first start to pull away....   while you had the drive shaft disconnected .. were the joints stiff???? or had slop when you rotated the parts slightly. while holding the next part..

axle bearings have also been known to squeak...  some have the semi floating C clip axles...   these have the axle shaft riding directly on bearing rollers...

if you pull the drum.. grab the end of the axle flange...  look behind it where it enters the end of the housing and lift the axle..  if the axle moves more than a TINY fraction of an inch...  i am talking barely visible.. as there should be no movement..  the axle bearings are probably bad.. but the axle shaft surface could be damaged...  grooved..---_---|

axle repair bearings are available in 3 sizes that move the rollers outward past the worn area..   they also have integral seals..

for those rodders.. who want new axles... just a hint.. i saw a really good deal on them in the jegs catalog i got a few months back..

and JYJ i know you know some/most of this.. this info is to spread on the wall.. as described in the book... who flung doo.. as there are lots of forum members still receiving info here.

rooster

You might also look for a broken leaf moving around!

junkyardjeff

New rear springs and U joints so I hope its not them,I first heard the noise after the rear end change and will check the exhaust shields as it does sound like a sheet metal squeek. It will only make the noise a couple times and not again until it cools down,

2buck

I was going to suggest a bad universal joint.

junkyardjeff

I found out where the squeek was coming from,it was the plastic collar on the pinion seal making the noise so i put some oil on it and its gone for now.I did put new axle bearings in it since I did not know the mileage.