A/C service

Started by Okiedokie, August 10, 2012, 07:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

It seems that I have another o-ring leaking on my a/c in my 40. It lost freon after setting in the upholstery shop and I added a can with leak sealer to see if that would work. Of course not. Since we are leaving on an extended trip in a few days, Deadwood SD car show, I need to address it now and not after it leaks out while we are on the road. I borrowed a sniffer and it seems to be at the inside of the firewall connection. It seems I remember that you should not release the freon quickly due to oil loss, is that correct? Yes I know I should take it to a repair shop that can recover and save the freon, but time won't permit that. Any advice?

Learpilot

That is correct about releasing oil slowly, but I use my gauges with the yellow hose stuck into a plastic water bottle (that is clean and with no water) to collect the oil. Now you know how much you lost. Just pour it back in the compressor or use new oil of the same amount. You may know this but always put A/C oil on the o-ring when you assemble.
Keep that '40 on the road !
I hope this helps ,Rick

41woodie

I hope you haven't mentioned this to Cindy yet.

Okiedokie

QuoteI hope you haven't mentioned this to Cindy yet

She is aware and reminding me daily, no air and I will be lonesome on the trip.

Thanks for the tip Rick.

41woodie

Quote from: "Okiedokie"She is aware and reminding me daily, no air and I will be lonesome on the trip.

Thanks for the tip Rick.

Seriously how slow is the leak, I suppose you could top it off right before leaving and returning.  Since you're doing it yourself it wouldn't require finding a shop to do it. You said it leaked out while at the upholsterer, how long was it there.

Fat Cat

I would not advise it but because of the risks associated with your health. But if your set on just opening the system the simplest solution would be to loosen a connection or a service port and let it bleed off slowly. That will keep the oil loss to a minimum.

When you get things back together put some UV dye in the system. We use UV dye for all our diagnostics at my place of work. It will give you a visual que to go along with your sniffer result. You can use the sniffer to get close and the dye to pinpoint the exact location.

wayne petty

just in case you don't have the proper Green colored 134A spec orings..

i took a look at the tulsa AZ stores..

Santech/A/C System O-Ring / Gasket Kit
Part Number: MT2529
Price: $12.99
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ste/MT2529/image/4/

Part Number: MT2526
Price: $10.99
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ste/MT2526/image/4/

Part Number: MT2543
Price $8.99
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ste/MT2543/image/4/

these are a few of the number that one store has in stock..
i don't know what sizes are included in these.. or what size that you need..  but these are more than likely the proper material for R134.. where the black is not usually..

you will want to EVACUATE the system prior to charging..
but you already knew this..

i wonder.. i would imagine that you could use your R134 charging manifold to discharge your system slowly...

its a shame that empty canisters are expensive that can handle the pressures involved.. to extract the R134 with the vacuum pump right into the canister...

they might not be that expensive. as there are a lot of freon bandits..  a friends AC stopped cooling.. he went out and took a look.. found a tiny hole in the tubing.. somebody stole his freon..

wayne petty

still works.. just really slow to load...