Anyone have access to a Hollander interchange

Started by sirstude, July 31, 2012, 09:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I lost a wheel bearing on the Impala this week and it scarred the spindle.  I am running the disk break setup off of a full sized 1969 Chevrolet wagon.  I know the 69-70 full sized chevrolet stuff is the same, but wondering what on the other GM lines will fit so I can check the yards to see what I can find.  Of course, when it let loose, I was 500 miles from home with no internet access, so that was quite the repair job.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

don't know if this will help.. as i know some people have hollanders here

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=50259

i have found that a flat 180 Grit diamond file can reshape the race areas fairly well when they get torn up.,.

when i looked up the 69/70 disc brake spindle. for full size.. they listed it by number below left.. showed up in 2 catalogs..

i noticed they put up an Ebay link

http://motors.desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=3953416+GM&LH_TitleDesc=1

that might make it a LOT easier to find one... looks like it might fit C3 corvettes also..  but i am not sure if i selected the right part number..

try to get a forging number off the inside of the spindle..

sirstude

Probably what I am really asking, now that I have looked at the documents, is what of the BOP cars are the same as the full sized Chevy?  I know the Pontiac Catalina and 2+2 are the same, but not sure on any of the others, since all 3 makes have cars bigger than the full sized Chevy.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Good news, when I got the disk setup off the wagon, my friend with a 41,000 mile 67 SS427 got another set.  He has been putting his car back to stock and said he probably will never use the set he got, so will pick them up from his storage building and give them to me.  I will probably still look for another spindle to replace the one bad one.  We did get it to clean up very well, but I am a worry wart so want another one.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

idrivejunk

Hollander Interchange #44 states:

Spindle, Hollander # 576   (3953416)  was installed on:

Chev. Pass. '68 disc brake without power assist.
Chev. Pass. '69-70 disc brake all
Corvette '69-78

So it looks like B-O-P fullsize spindles are different somehow. But Corvette spindles should be easy enough to find! I can post a pic of the book page if need be.
Matt

enjenjo

As I recall, minor machine work will turn a drum brake spindle into a disc brake spindle. Minor to the point that it can be done with a hack saw if you are careful. You have to trim back the anchor pin boss at the top of the spindle.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Maybe the spindlees stayed differeft until Chevy went to the BOP wheel bolt pattern in early '70s. GPster

sirstude

Thanks for the information, the disk brake spindles have a different mount on them for the calipers that is not on the drum brake spindle.  The Corvette is interesting, seems like it should be the same though 82.  That is what my Corvette guy says.  I will be checking out an 80 Corvette spindle from one that he is scrapping.  What is the year for the #44 manual? It might stop at 1978 and that would explain the difference.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

idrivejunk

Quote from: "sirstude"Thanks for the information, the disk brake spindles have a different mount on them for the calipers that is not on the drum brake spindle.  The Corvette is interesting, seems like it should be the same though 82.  That is what my Corvette guy says.  I will be checking out an 80 Corvette spindle from one that he is scrapping.  What is the year for the #44 manual? It might stop at 1978 and that would explain the difference.

Doug

That is correct, the copyright date is 1978!
Matt

sirstude

That is correct, the copyright date is 1978![/quote]

Thank you again.  Just got back from the Alignment shop and the toe was out 5/8 and too much positive camber on the left front.  Reset the camber and the toe came right in.  However, we were both looking at the front end and realized that I was missing one of the sway bar links.  That was why it was driving funny.  Picked up a set and will replace them this weekend.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us