What do you udo for a spare wheel

Started by sal37, May 24, 2012, 06:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sal37

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I am in the process of buying some wheels and tires for for my '37. The selection I am proposing is front tires 25.5" diameter and rear 28.7" diameter.  

The options for a spare wheel as I see it are - pressure pack type puncture repair, a tire the same diameter as the front wheel or a tire that is between the front and rear wheel.  I do not know how effective the pressure pack would be.  I like the idea of having a spare wheel in the car and having a spare wheel the same as the front would be easy to fit in the trunk but I am not sure about the impact of a smaller wheel on the diff.  What do you think??

Stephen

Ernie Callen

phat46

Don't carry one. Besides the differance in size I have two different bolt patterns. A can of Fix-A-Flat, a tire plug kit, and a cell phone with AAA number in it.

Carnut

On all my rides with different sizes I carry a front tire size for a spare.

sal37

Thanks for your replies guys.  I might do all the above!.
Stephen

river1

a lot of the new cars don't have spares, just a can of fix it flat :?

my neighbor's caddy didn't so he has added a spare for when he goes out of town. when you are in the middle of the desert/outback and a tire shreds on you, the phone/fix a flat/AAA card won't do you much good when you are out of bars on the phone.

around town or back east where towns are closer together the need for a spare is less.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

Find a Temp Spare Tire fron something with ABS brakes ..
It should be the  same diameter as the OE tires .. :idea:   AWD Astro is good for Chev bolt pattern ...AWD Jeep is good for Ford bolt pattern .. They are Skinny ..
( Easy to "stash" ..)  And "Tall" ( good mix between front & rear sizes ..)
As far as "hurting" the rear end ...You aren't planning on driving further than the nearest tire store ....Correct  :?:  :lol:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

58 Yeoman

My '05 Ford Ranger 4x4 came with P255 tires all around, but the spare is P235.  A larger tire won't fit in the space under the truck. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

rumrumm

I have no room for a spare so I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat and hope I never have to use it. I also belong to AAA just in case.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

I carry a space saver spare from my Corvette in Big Olds.  I've never had to use it in 123,000 miles BUT a number of friends have while on the road.

In my '60 wagon I've got room in the side spare tire spot for a full size spare and I actually needed it last weekend while coming home from the Jalopy Showdown I had a major blowout in PA, on I76 in the middle of nowhere.  There was no way that tire was going to be fixed with a can of fix-a-flat.   :wink:

I now have FIVE brand new tires on my wagon as my spare was kinda scary looking.  Lucky I made it home safe and sound.  I did learn a valuable lesson. My idea of usable and safe tires is far different then others ideas.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Crosley.In.AZ

I hope the cans of fix-a-flat are better design than the old ones..  a co-worker had a can of that stuff explode in his trunk during a hot summer here.

The explosion pressure  blew out the back window of his pontiac ventura
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I carry a 12v compressor and a jug of slime. I know that I'm asking for it but I keep fresh tires on my stuff. If I was to head to Cal., I would throw a full size spare in the back.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

I know we all carry "Fix-A-Flat" just in case ......Please remember most tire stores will NOT work on a tire where it has been used ... Same with new cars ..If the "Spare in a can" is used , the tire is regarded to be scrap...... :roll:
We had to equip approx 350 fleet cars in the rural Southwest with spare tires & jacks / tools  because the only way to repair a blowout in a rural area was a tow truck to the nearest tire store that had the proper size tire..  BIG time inconveince & $$$$$$$$$$$$ for the customer .. :evil:

Bob ..... :wink:

Carnut

unoh the conversation has veered in a direction that gets real nostalgic with me and triggered some memories.

In high school I had the usual part time job of pumping gas at a 'service station' and one of the most common other jobs I performed was fixing flats by patching, no plugs allowed.

So unmounting and remounting tires on wheels was kinda ingrained into my psyche.

Looking ahead to my possible future of messing with cars and the advent of 'mags' and chrome wheels of my own I knew I'd never be able to trust the tire changers of the day, so I determined I had to have my own tire changer just for my own protection.

In 1970 I happened to be aware of and in position to buy a manual tire changer from a station going to a new pneumatic machine.

That changer became one of my most cherished possessions. It gave me confidence of being able to fix my own flats, mount my own tire and wheel combos that many 'experts' would refuse to do.  Saved money, saved having to deal with 'experts' and 'neer do well' tire changers.

Moved and mounted that changer to the floor of all the garages in my life, it almost seemed like part of my identity. The feeling of security is really hard to describe. Being able to buy tires of my choice and places of my choice was a real treat, when places like Tire Rack came along I was set.

Coincidentally at about the same time I bought the tire changer I had also come across a good deal on a 'on the car' tire balancer just like the one at the garage I apprenticed at, but passed on it and regretted that most of my life. I did eventually buy a fairly decent bubble balancer to use.

So fixing flats and mounting tires has been second nature to me most all my life.

Anyhow now at my advanced age and somewhat poverty level of existence worrying about tires and changing them has slid way down my list of concerns in life. So recently a close friend came by and managed to talk me out of the changer for a decent price. He knew I was in financial difficulty and was getting lame enough to not be up to changing many more tires in my life, to which I was thinking the same, so his money talked and the tire changer went.

Now I really can't believe how much I miss that tire changer and continually think of uses I now can't use it for, I know I can just go to my friends house to get the job done and probably get help doing it, but it still really bothers me.

Heh heh any how when ever tires get discussed all this comes to mind now.

Also with my broken wrist  still in a cast, you wouldn't believe how difficult and painfull it has been to type this.

UGLY OLDS

Gee George ...Sorry to hear that your wrist is still giving you issues... :(

The important part ....How is Shadow doing  :?:  Full recovery  :?:  
Still seems to like you  :?:  :lol:  :lol:

Bob .... :wink: