4bar question

Started by chimp koose, May 08, 2012, 10:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

My model T frame is 23" wide , I copied the original. The 4bar mounts  attach to the axle at 32" on centre. The question is this, is it better to angle the 4bar brackets at the frame and axle and run straight rod ends or should I get the 7 or 11 degree angled rod ends and run the brackets parrallel to the frame rails? The angled bracket method geometry might put the suspension in a slight bind as the axle moves up and the rod ends try to move outward,but with only 2" up and 1" down travel and an offset of about 4" over a 32" run I think the rod end bushings should handle it. I will be using coilovers if that makes any difference.If you have experience with either setup I would appreciate your opinion.The angle of the bars is close to 7degrees but 7degree ends would only allow full turn adjustments to rod length for caster or wheelbase changes.Which would you use and why.

phat46

On mine I used angled rod ends at the frame and let the batwings on the axle swivel slightly to make the angle there. Seems to work fine.

Warpspeed

In theory (structurally) rod ends should always be dead straight, and only work in straight direct tension/compression.
Any angularity should be taken account of in the main supporting structure at each end.
Angled rod ends turn the links themselves into a less stiff "S" shape which in theory could stretch or buckle under extreme loads.

In practice it probably does not matter that much, and with a Hot Rod, what looks right to the eye, is probably the better alternative.

chimp koose

Thanks guys,I was leaning towards angling the mounting brackets and running straight rod ends . Just wanted input from others. I am just now making mockup bars with solid ends so the mounting points are in perfect alignment. Then I can locate the coilover upper mount position. I have already made the mounting brackets for the shocks,I just havent made the bolt holes for the top eye yet as I want to confirm placement at ride height vs/ published installed height from shock manufacturer.Going to a swap meet this weekend,hope to find some rod ends or I will order them from speedway