Nutserts?????

Started by Jokester, April 30, 2012, 02:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

I'm needing a few nutserts for a project I'm working on.  

It appears that 3/8" is the largest.  They offer a lot of kits with several sizes included.  It appears that my best route would be to purchase the tool and then packages of 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8".  I can't see me using any of the smaller sizes.

I need to attach some things to the firewall and can't easily access that area (too old and fat, also dizzy when upside down).

Any input?????

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Charlie Chops 1940

Buy a quality kit from one of the major tool supply houses. The HF nutsert tool is junk.

I use a ton of 10/32 inserts. 1/4 and 5/16  a lot. 3/8 every now and then. I had to get some 1" aluminum tubing to serve as tool handle extensions to be able  to set the 3/8 insert. I used the plated steel inserts. Generally the aluminum incerts aren't worth fooling with.

My kit was from AVK Industrial Products and was called the Prototype & Thread Repair Kit P/N AVK 2292 (Inch). I use it a lot.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Jokester

Thanks Charlie,

That confirms one suspicion, that the aluminum ones are not what I want.  I guess two suspicions.  I figured the HF ones were low quality.  

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

wayne petty

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/rivnuttools.html

just a thought...

there are rivnuts

there are well nuts that are Rubber flanged devices that push through a hole and then items are fastened to the top and the shank of the well nut is pulled up to expand to prevent pulling out..  if you decide on a rubber well nut.. please pick up a deburing tool and debur both sides of the hole... so it does not tear up the well nut..

you can also install riv nuts without a tool.. just with a strap with a hole and a bolt through it that stops the rivnut from spinning then the bolt to pull up on the threaded section..

enjenjo

McMaster Carr is a good source for replacement inserts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fat Cat

I have a kit at work that I bought from Napa, made by Marson I believe. I can get a part number tomorrow if your interested. It included a number of inserts in 10-32, 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 and all the mandrels needed to put things together. They sell just packages of inserts of which I have had to reorder both 5/16 and 3/8 inserts.

kb426

I'm with Frank. I buy replacements From McMaster Carr and I have a Kar Products tool.
TEAM SMART

Warpspeed

I have never liked nutserts or anything that is supposed to expand in a round hole. The buggers come loose and turn, and you will then have hell removing the bolt if the nut is inaccessible.

For thin panels I much prefer cage nuts that fit a rectangular hole, and apart from filing the rectangular hole, no other special tooling is required.

enjenjo

The ones I use are steel, and knurled on the outside, They don't turn if they fit the hole tight.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=hc6g2m

I have a Curtis tool, no longer made, priced out of the market by cheaper tools, but none of them as well made. Here are some other ones. I have some of the first two in different sizes, good in close quarters.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Old Blue

I bought the kit, a quality made in England tool that looks like a pop rivet tool.

I got all the sizes right from the small 8/32 machine screw size all the way up to 3/8".

Like you I thought I would not use it much.  Wrong !!

I love the darn thing. I found myself going all over my projects eliminating bolts with nuts and also any sheet metal or self tapping screws. Gone !

The 10/32 machine screw sized insert is one of my favorites and very useful as is the 1/4".

I use the inserts pictured above, the ones with the ribs aroung the outside, they don't slip and can take a reasonable amount of tightening.  

Don't know what I did without it.

Charlie Chops 1940

I've had good results with the longer reach ribbed inserts in fiberglass. When I'm set to put the inserts in I mix up a small dollop of bonding agent and spread a little around the insert. They seem to hold very well.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

There's a number of nutserts in my cpe and they've been there since 97 with no problems yet
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

oj

I have the AVK set as well.  The secret is to get good at putting them in, it is not a givin thing that they'll stay unless you learn to install them proper.  
I prefer weldnuts and plan to get a broach for those cage nuts.