carburetor pad angle

Started by vso737, April 28, 2012, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

FYI-  The problem I had can NOT be fixed without modifying the center cross member.  I was able to get the carb pad to the 1 degree mark which took care of the clearance problem under the crank pulley (now at 5") as well as the distance between the trans pan and ground.

Thanks for all the input,
Mike

[/img]
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

enjenjo

That should be fine. I had to use an 11 degree spacer on one engine, it's been on the road for 20 years with no problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Warpspeed

When you stomp on the brakes for a 1G stop, the fuel in the bowl sloshes to maybe 45 degrees to the front of the fuel bowl.

When you tramp it in first gear, it probably goes to something like that to the rear of the fuel bowl.

And guess what, your carb works just fine going up and down some incredibly steep grades too, just ask the off road guys.

But OH !  if the carb is not dead level when the thing is parked and just idling it absolutely must be fixed.....  I don't think so.

UGLY OLDS

I remember using short pieces of tubing stuck into the jets of the rear carb bowls in my race car .. It assured that there was fuel available to the jets when the fuel "sloshed" to the rear of the float bowls
when the car launched   :idea:  

I also used to use a piece of fuel line between the bowl vents  to keep the fuel from going out the vents at launch & to avoid "bleeding" from the vents at speed ... :roll:

Both of these were common when running Holley carbs ...But I was running three of them ... :?   :?  

Looked hokey ...Worked GREAT .... 8)

Ah ....The "Good old days" ..... :(D)

MIKE ...Can you please post a photo of how you corrected your front motor mounts to lower the front of the engine ??  

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

vso737

Hi Bob,
I had to saw off the front of the frame mount, the hole, and made a hanger.  Of course it turned out to be too deep so instead of making another one, I made a 2" riser in case I want to lower it at a later date.
I still have to weld the hanger to the top of the existing frame mount and the riser to the hanger.
Hope the pictures make sense...................

LG,
Mike

[/img]

[/img]

UGLY OLDS

I got it ..... 8)

Thanks ......
Bob....... :wink:

vso737

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I got it ..... 8)

Thanks ......
Bob....... :wink:

Hi Bob,

"UGLY" is in the eyes of the beholder.

This is a picture of me with my FIRST car, drove it in the 10th grade at Santa Monica High School all of 1963.  I'm 16-years-old here.
It is a 1956 Olds Holiday 4 door.  Back in my day, it was real drag to drive a 4 door and you avoided it at all cost!
Wish I had taken more pictures..........I loved that car.

LG,
Mike

[/img]

UGLY OLDS

Mike ....  The "Ugly Olds" thing started WAY before I built the car ... With my son taking his '37 Dodge away from "The Family" so to speak , I needed to put something together Pronto... I put the word out that I wanted a '37 to 48' Chev Coupe .. My intent was to build a "1-800 quickie" with all bolt on stuff to get back on the street ASAP.. One of my buddies called & advised he found a '40 Chevy Sedan with a "Really Ugly Front End" ...I went to look at the car ..It was not at all what I wanted ...It needed a full boogie build ..The owner made me an offer I could not refuse ...My wife said BUY THE CAR...So much for my "Quick & easy build" ....... :roll:

Bob......... :wink:

http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/03/_image.pl?/show/03/pbo/nat1056.jpg

vso737

Hi Bob,

VERY NICE ride..............

You did a great job on the sedan.

Here is a picture of my 1940 Chevy COUPE to go with your sedan.

LG,
Mike

[/img]

UGLY OLDS

Gee Mike ....That's EXACTLY what I had in mind before the Ugly Olds entered my life ...That's a nice coupe...  8)

Bob.. :wink:

vso737

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee Mike ....That's EXACTLY what I had in mind before the Ugly Olds entered my life ...That's a nice coupe...  8)

Bob.. :wink:

Thank you.........I can NOT take credit for the build.  Joe Waterman in Idaho built it in 1984.  I have been the proud owner for the past two years and love it more each day.
I call it a "poor man's WILLYS"......................
The reason I purchased the car is because it has a 1969 427CI motor with a 350 tranny.  The ONLY thing I plan on doing to it is to install a
700R4 tranny.

NOW, as for "MYK'S 30", I'm taking ALL the credit.  You can check out my project at http://myks30.webs.com
If you do, view each album in SLIDESHOW and FULL SCREEN to get the music.

LG,
Mike

[/img]