I'm baack!

Started by papastoyss, April 23, 2012, 11:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

Finally got internet at my home today.. Had to go w/satellite internet since I kinda live in the "boonies". My partner & I sold our repair shop business Feb 1st & I went ahead & retired. I have really missed my RRT buddies. I finally got my 40 Ford coupe put together & have put app. 600 miles on it so far. Just enough to find out what needs more work. I have a brake issue, pedal returns fine when cool, when heat buildsup the pedal will return to top of where the brakes apply & I have to hook my foot under it to bring pedal to top of free travel. I've already installed a much stiffer return spring, next step is 2 springs if no one has abetter idea. The dual diaphram 7" booster & Corvette style m/cyl are under the floor. I've already made & installed a shield between the booster & exhaust pipe to help prevent heat transfer. I think this booster & m/cyl came from TiawainTom aka Southern Rods. Any Suggestions?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

enjenjo

Welcome back. So you have determined the issue is not the calipers as we discussed on the phone? Not a sticky pedal bushing is it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Flipper

Your car looks great!  I saw it at the bunny run, but didn't know it was yours until after the fact.

Crosley.In.AZ

welcome back... the car looks good
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

chimp koose

The car looks AWESOME!

rumrumm

Nice looking '40! I would  have thought a stiffer return spring would have solved the problem. I had to install a fairly stiff return spring on mine to solve the pedal return problem.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"Welcome back. So you have determined the issue is not the calipers as we discussed on the phone? Not a sticky pedal bushing is it?
The new calipers & brackets cured the brakes overheating while driving but evidently I have multiple issues. I don't think the pedal bushing is the problem, I put a grease zerk in it & it has side to side clearance.The original calipers were binding on the pins, evidently the pin holes were tapped crooked in the brackets, there was .100 difference in the distance between the pins from end to end.

papastoyss

Quote from: "Flipper"Your car looks great!  I saw it at the bunny run, but didn't know it was yours until after the fact.

THANKS, thats a genuine Earl Schieb paint job!

enjenjo

The pedal is not catching on the floor is it?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"The pedal is not catching on the floor is it?
No, I got down in the floor & trimmed the carpet to be sure

Learpilot

GREAT LOOKING '40 !!
I had a lot of trouble with my brakes. This is the first car I have owned with a mastercylinder under the floor. I have the same brakes that you have a corvette style dual master cylinder and a 7" single booster. I had ok brakes on first push and if I pumped it it would be great. I got on line and read everything I could find. Well I installed a 2 # residual valve for the front disks and a 10# residual valve for the rear drums. That fixed the problem firm brakes from the first push !

Here is a link to what I bought.

http://www.abad71camaro.com/servlet/Cart
Have fun driving your '40, I sure like mine !
Rick

Learpilot

GREAT LOOKING '40 !!
If you have the new Speedway 2012 Street Rod Catalog on page 19 Speedy TIP will tell you all about brakes. I don't know if it will return your pedal but mine comes all the way back after installing the residual a valves.

Rick

papastoyss

Quote from: "Learpilot"GREAT LOOKING '40 !!
If you have the new Speedway 2012 Street Rod Catalog on page 19 Speedy TIP will tell you all about brakes. I don't know if it will return your pedal but mine comes all the way back after installing the residual a valves.

Rick
Do you remember when you first posted pics of your 40 I told you I had a similar color 40 going together & I REALLY liked it? I think I finally found the reason for the sticky pedal. It only got sticky after driving 30-40 miles. I used a heim joint to connect the brake pedal to the booster pushrod. The heim was very stiff ,plus exhaust pipe was only 1" away.I lubed the joint & fabbed a heat shield , drove about 1 1/2 hrs yesterday & no problems.MANY THANKS to all who offered suggestions!

reborn55

Saw your car at the Bunny run--didn't know it was yours.  Our paths cross but never meet it seems

Nice looking car