Speaking Of Rustproofing..

Started by Arnold, April 12, 2012, 02:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Just a quick test. I had a piece of angle iron..about 4' long..about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x about 1/8 thick. Not really an ideal candidate to test rust proofing material. (Too thick) but anyway..I was doing some rustproofing..and testing some stuff.
  I decided to spray about 1' of in sections with the rustproofing stuff I had kicking around and was using. So 4 different types. Then I would leave this thing right there in the wet grass..and look at it now and again haha.
  The first 2 types I used were from 2 of the very large rustproofing franchises here. I don't want to get into bad mouthing names..they do sell the stuff in aerosols for the public to purchase.
  I did not prep on this piece of rusty steel.
  They each got 1' of spray.
  The 3rd foot I sprayed with a rust paint called Rust Killer. It is gray.
  The 4th foot I sprayed with something called Honey Goo.

lol..I think after it got damp 1 night! haha..the first 2 products were LONG gone from the surface haha. I thought maybe some magical can't see product.

A year later.(still left in long wet grass haha).the rust painted area was pretty good! Some rust showing through. The first 2 areas were just junk. The 4th area..this Honey Goo stuff ( a neighbour gave it to me) looked yukky and greasy like..like i had just sprayed it! I don't sell it or am involved with it in anyway. I did google it..iirc it is made by Kleenflo..I don't know where you can get it? Maybe an auto parts supplier?

UGLY OLDS

Back when I worked with Illinois Bell , they used some type of rust proofing that was more of a "grease" than a undercoating product ...

Felt like grease ...Looked like grease ..Smelled like grease ..Don't have a clue what it was .. It was sprayed into EVERY available opening to get into doors ..rockers .floors ..Even found it sprayed in the kick panel air vents ...Found it sprayed on the inside of body panels ..like a bad paint job...Never did find out what it was ..BUT..It worked & they had very few rust problems on any vehicle it was applied to...Other vehicles of the same model without the "Goo" ....Rusted everywhere as normal ....

I remember rust prooofing my only new car ever ..A '74 Ranchero ... We pulled the interior & door panels off  as not to "Miss" anything ...Sold it 4 years later .. You could reach up inside the doors from the outside & unlock the doors or plug the speakers back in ...

I Hate Rust ...... :(

Bob........ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

idrivejunk

I fixed wrecked Mercedes for several years and VWs for a few. They are all full of "cavity wax" now. Thats what the dark streaks below all their door drain holes are, dirt stuck to that stuff. Its a mixture of wax and oil, simply put.

Here is what I have used to restore such corrosion protection, along with the applicator gun and wand. Works great, takes practice and a lot of product. It makes a fog that really penetrates. I like it for inside frame rails too. Probably kinda like Honey Goo.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-rust-fighter-i-08891.html

You could use that or any of several different brands available from auto paint suppliers, for inaccessible areas. Shop around, its also called "internal panel coating".
Matt

enjenjo

I've used Boeshield T9. I also have a drum of Tectyl 124 that I spray on with a Shutz gun. The Tectyl works very good, but drums are the smallest they package.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Across the river from us in Canada, they have a rustproffing service that uses hot oil sprayed  all over under the car and into cavities. I have seen several vehicles that use this and they look good years after the untreated vehicles of the same age have started rusting. You have to go back every year and get it redone, but it might be worth it.  My '02 Dodge truck is rusting around the rear wheel openings but not as badly as many I see here. Some trucks  the same age as mine have the door bottoms  and cab corners gone already, and their rear wheel wells and completely shot. Its a shame, as my truck has only 74,000 miles and I'd like to keep it for another ten years. I have a brother in sothern Alabama, I guess i should have him on the lookout for a bed for my truck for me that's not rusted out.

teal32

I posted this question on my AT&T Long Lines Bulletin Board. Several of the "older" members are pretty sure that the Phone Company used cosmoline on their vehicles in the late 50's and during the 6o's. I remember my first Ohio Bell company car, It was Bell System dark green cheapest '64 Plymouth 2- door sedan model , six cylinder, with manual shift, a governor, no back seat, no air conditioner, no safety belts, white side wall tires had to be to the inside and no undercoating at first, but was later covered with something to keep the road water from splashing through the holes in the back seat getting the equipment wet. The undercoated vehicle's had very little rust and sure made for quieter driving. I "coating" was like a bad paint job, in the side vents, on bumpers, tail pipe. Anymore than two people had to improvise seating in the back. No radio allowed, not even personal portables. Lot's of repercussion if caught with radios, because they might cause driver distraction . Ah, the good old days. Anyway, like I stated above, most of the guys who responded to my post thought it was cosmoline.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid