Need someone with better Google eyes than me

Started by GPster, April 05, 2012, 05:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Harbor Freight has oxygen regulators on sale and it put me in a "Fix or Replace" quandry. I inherited my torches thirty years ago and I don't use them very often (evidenced by the lack of burn scars) but the last couple of times I noticed the oxigen pressure creeping up. The sale has gotten me to see about repairing my regulator if I can. While searching my regulator problem seems common and the reason is usually a hard and cracked seat because of age. My regulator is a Harris Calorific 441 and I haven't foundany sites that identify that model. Sending it out for repairwould be more expensive than a replacement on this sale but the replacement seats seem resonable for other regulators and there doesn't seem to be any warnings against trying to fix it. Can anybody find a site that recognizes this model rerulator? GPster

unklian

Haven't found anything yet.

MAYBE they are not rebuildable.

contact these guys:
http://www.billswelderrepair.com/Torch_Reg.html

enjenjo

I have been using the Harbor Freight ergulators for several years no, no problem so far. I see they are in the new flyer for $34.95. I also have some used Purox regulators you can have, but they need rebuilding too. I would not advise doing them yourself, they are kind of touchy to get set right.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

if you are working in a commercial welding shop..   you would need the professional grade regulators..  

if you are working at a home shop.. or even your own shop.. HF..

are there any more distinguishing numbers on the leaking regulator..

welding suppliers are the ones who usually rebuild them..

i have opened one a LONG time ago.. i don't even recall what was in there other than a diaphragm..  but its been almost 30 years..  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

one trip to the now defunct muffler shop for some cat installs..  the guy had a helper..   man what a help..   the torch was popping..  i looked over the helper was turning knobs on the valves and the regulators..

he had the acetylene regulator screwed in ALL THE WAY.. and there was about 80 PSI on the O2.   i cranked the valves off and unscrewed the adjustment screws..  man what a day..  two guys without a clue..  i got the car back untouched and left..   there were NO Check valves in the hoses ..  i don't know how it did not blow up..

GPster

Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight today. Better I should get some opinions I value than the answer I was looking for. Maybe I can use the old one for parts. I think one of the gauges on the acetylene regulator is bad. GPster

Bruce Dorsi

Most of the welding supply houses in my area will not rebuild regulators because of liability issues.

It is much safer for them to sell new regulators.

Lack of skilled employees may also be a factor in their decision.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tomslik

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Most of the welding supply houses in my area will not rebuild regulators because of liability issues.

It is much safer for them to sell new regulators.

Lack of skilled employees may also be a factor in their decision.

.....and parts availability (for the rebuild) COULD be an issue.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list