Under floor brake pedal - master cylinder

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, April 03, 2012, 11:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

For my Simca, I need a under floor brake pedal.   Yeh...  I could build something, but I dont want to chase all the misc parts & needed supplys down.  I prefer to buy a kit and make minor changes if needed.

Posted photo is for illustration only.

My Simca brake pedal will need to Out side of the frame. Master cyl behind the pedal.  The master cylinder ports would need to be on the outside away from the frame.  Space is tight in the area.

i've read some Ford master cyl had ports on opposite side, so in this configuration they ports would be located as I want them
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Last one I did that needed the ports on the opposite side, I used a 93 Camaro master.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

This one will work too, 81 Mustang, and priced cheaper

wayne petty

tony...  i have a bendix illustrated part guide...  shows a few  ford masters in a similar shape.. with ports on the right or the left..

got any idea of bore size.. and how deep a push rod hole you need for that set up???
if one of these might interest you .. i can reverse the applications in a few minutes.. but i see there are lots of other options ...

these all have ports on the right side..  including the E250 version..

bendix E135-66-020
bore 1"
front 1/2-20
rear 9/16-18
1.45 push rod depth

bendix 135-66-024
bore 15/16
front 9/16-18
rear 7/16-24
1.44 push rod depth

bendix E135-66-028
bore 1 1/8
7/16-24 inverted flair
1/2-20 inverted flair
1.45" push rod depth

bendix E135-66-037
1" bore
front port 1/2-20 inverted flair
rear port 7/16-24 inverted flair
push rod depth 1.45"

bendix  E135-66-041
1 1/8  bore.
front port 7/16-24 inverted flair
rear port  9/16-18 inverted flair
push rod depth 1.43"

i was noticing that on my friends 96 E250 4.9.. with rear wheel antilocks.. that the master has a cruise control switch on the front top of the master.. these were all recalled for a defective switch.. but that switch might be used for brake light activation ... if the master will fit.. just an idea.. its a plastic tank master..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/fen/NM3021/image/4/

but it has odd metric size on one of the outlets . but it has some kind of valve screwed into it..

Part Number:   NM3021
Weight:   2.85 lbs
Application:    With cruise control
Master Cylinder Bore Size (In):    1.125
Master Cylinder Material:    Aluminum or Cast Iron
Master Cylinder Port Diameter:    Primary M18x1.5 w/Valve, Secondary 0.562"-18

this is just an idea..    hope this helps..

Glen

If you happen to get a pair of 9/16 ports i have a set of these you can have....

enjenjo

Quotebut it has some kind of valve screwed into it..

That is a 10 lb residual valve for the rear brakes.

GPster

A kind of unique way of doing under floor pedals is the way that Wiilys did their 2WD in the early '50s. Try imaging the under floor pedal with the master cylinder in-front of the pedal or a firewall mount pedal turned upside-down with the hinge point of the pedal at the frame. That's the way my Jeepster was originally was and it would help with finding a master cylinder with the fittings on the correct side. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

The Corvette style master is commonly available with ports on both side. I've had good luck with them.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Warpspeed

One thing that may be less than obvious, but right hand drive cars from Japan, Australia, and Britain just about all have the master cylinder connections on the side you need.

In your first picture, that looks like any ordinary Ford Falcon master cylinder (Australian Version).

So if you can find something that suits the style you are after, on some "world" car, the master cylinders will more than likely have the outlets on different sides for different countries.

Just a matter of ordering it on e-bay from the right place.

Get yourself onto the Australian e-bay, and search for "brake master cylinder".
You will find a whole bunch of them with the majority having the connections on the left hand side.

jaybee

Some Packards also had the m/c ahead of the underfloor pedal. I'll be there are other exceptions also.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Flipper

master ahead of the pedal seems like it would be fighting for space with headers

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"This one will work too, 81 Mustang, and priced cheaper

that master cylinder is for disc - drum combo  brakes.

As I recall you can removed a residual check valve in the m/c  if it's there?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"This one will work too, 81 Mustang, and priced cheaper

that master cylinder is for disc - drum combo  brakes.

As I recall you can removed a residual check valve in the m/c  if it's there?

Yes you can in most cases, but a lot of them no longer have one. Just poke a toothpick into the port, and see if there is something in the way.