Idea just crazy enuff to work

Started by dvanecek, August 11, 2004, 12:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvanecek

Heah guy's,

I had a brainstorm today.  I was wondering  if JB weld or some other metal boding agent could be used as body filler.  lead is a liquid metal that hardens so is JB weld.  The difference one uses cooling and one uses a chemical reaction.  That is where my concern is.  WIll the chemicals in JB weld allow primer to bind to it?  I seams a little to simple for no one else to have tried it.  let's hear some opinions!

Dave

rumrumm

I have not used JB Weld for this purpose. It may work to fill a small hole but not as a a thin coating to blend a body panel. I used a stick of epoxy aluminum (you know, the stuff you knead  the two parts together) to fill the hollow area of an aluminum windshield stansion on a '29 Ford roadster. It held up until I sold the car 6 years later. As far as I know it is still holding. It was hard to sand but it took paint very well.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

unklian

I'm absolutely sure it would work,
but there are probably better fillers available,
at a better price,
intended specificly for autobody.

dvanecek

I agree with not using it for a blend or skim coat.  I'm thinking more about pin holes in a welded seam such as a lower fender or quarterpanel.  If anyone has a name of a better or more reasonable priced filler.  also could this filler be used for more advanced body work in places where lead was normally used such as hood peaks or filling trim holes?

Dave

enjenjo

Quote from: "dvanecek"I agree with not using it for a blend or skim coat.  I'm thinking more about pin holes in a welded seam such as a lower fender or quarterpanel.  If anyone has a name of a better or more reasonable priced filler.  also could this filler be used for more advanced body work in places where lead was normally used such as hood peaks or filling trim holes?

Dave

You can use Rust Bullet to seal seams and pinholes, and use a cheaper filler over it. JB weld is not very flexible, so I would worry about cracking on most panels.

For filling trim holes, the answer is welding them. Nothing else holds up over time 100 percent. You can glue 5 holes shut, 4 will hold up, the other won't. Biggest reason is the difference in expansion rates.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.