Next build day

Started by enjenjo, March 12, 2012, 05:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

OK, it's going to take some manuvering but I think I can make it. Our grand daughter has one of the staring roles in her school spring musical and Linda and I will be in the audience Fridat night and Saturday afternoon. Our son and his family are coming from Cincinnati to do the same and there will be a family barbeque following the Saturday performance. I will be there on Sunday but the time wil depend on what accomodations I can arrange. I don't want to miss the chance. GPster

moose

I will be there Should I bring my brushes to paint on Shelbys car?

moose

enjenjo

Quote from: "moose"I will be there Should I bring my brushes to paint on Shelbys car?

moose

She says yes, that would be awesome.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

moose

What color is her car so I bring the proper paints?

enjenjo

Quote from: "moose"What color is her car so I bring the proper paints?

It's a light tan, called Champagne.

39deluxe

I don't think I'm going to make it. I'm in the middle of a project I need to try to get done this weekend.

Tom

GPster

Well here's my story. Set out for my daughter's house Friday about noon. I brought my dog as a trial trip (he's never riden any distance in my truck)because he will be visiting with our Cincinnati grandkids while I'm pitcrewing in Wilmington. He only seems to be good for about 40 miles at a time before he needs a break from sitting in my little truck and having big trucks roar past him. When we had finally done the 135 miles I could barely make it out of my truck. My back was locked up. I hoped it would be better Saturday morning. I called to make sure the build day was still on and manuvered myself into the truck. I drove about 4 miles and pulled into a gas station before getting on the Ohio Turnpike. I could barely get out of the truck. So much for the idea that I would loosen up with time. It was gray and rainy and every body was worried about me taking off so all the factors weighed in my decission to give up on the idea. Kelsey (my dog) and his sister Gracie (the cat) rode home with their mother. After church I set out for home and luckily I made the trip with no stops. Twelve years of back pain before a laminectomy has my memory locking up my back at the faintest sign of back trouble so I didn't want to be 260 miles away from home if things got worse. I hope there'll be pictures of our project and Shelby's car. Putting the words paint and brushes has memories to me of a '53 Studebaker I had . I covered it with a gallon of "Red Lead" barn roof paint just so it would all be tha same color. GPster

enjenjo

We had a good day today, the weather was rally nice, but windy. Joe, you were missed, I had things set up for you to do.

For the last couple weeks I have been prebuilding parts when I had the spare time. All the front axle parts were made, I built a brace for the rear axle housing, and got a good start on the Watts linkage for the rear. I also made and prewelded the rest of the frame parts for the rear, and a couple crossmembers.

So today, we assembled and tack welded the front axle, installed the rear frame sections, tacked on the housing brace, and made the rest of the Watts linkage mounts, and tacked them in. We installed a couple more crossmembers, so all the rear of the frame needs is some more welding.

Once we used up all the parts I made, Tim and George did some hammer and dolley work on the body, it is looking pretty good.

There will be pictures posted later. All in all it was a good day. And Shelby got her car pinstriped.

moose

Things are starting to come together to make this pile of parts begin to look like a car!  As Frank stated we spent some time thinking out suspension and adding on the rear rails etc. Here are the few pictures I took of the build and the striping done on Shelby's car. Her design and color choice......

moose

purplepickup

I forgot to take very many pics this time but here's three more.  I had a 5 hour drive to get there from northern Michigan and was a little burned out...not used to getting up at 5AM now that I'm retired.

This is Moose bumping around on the roof.  There were some pretty deep valleys that got levelled out.

Here's more of the rear frame welded on and trued up.  The Watts link mounts are attached to the rear axle housing and frame rails.  The red lines show where the links will be after they're made.  Some of these parts enjenjo pre-made.

This is the front axle roughly mocked up with the 4 link brackets installed (more pre-made parts).  We had a little discussion about options on how to suspend the axle (torsion bar, coilovers, or something else I forgot).  I'm sure enjenjo will post details if someone wants to add their opinions.

As usual, it was a great getting together and conversations were varied and interesting.
George

enjenjo

The options discussed for front suspension were Torsion bars, quarter elliptic springs, and coilover shocks.

My first choice was torsion bars, until I discussed i with my brother, who has a midget and sprint car background. We discussed cross bars, parallel bars, stacked bars, the upside and downside of each, and it boiled down to having a complicated mounting for the bars, that would add weight, and take up a lot of room, and we would still need shocks, and likely a Watts linkage to control it.

Next we considered quarter elliptic front springs. The advantages, we had a pair, we could eliminate the Watts link/Panhard bar, and we ouild use the springs as the lower links on the four link. Disadvantages, we still would need shocks, and the springs are pretty heavy.

So the last one we considered was coil over shocks. The advantages, we are going to need shocks anyway, so all we are adding is the coil springs, and we can control the axle with just a panhard bar. I don't really see any downside.

Opinions? Options?

GPster

As far as the front suspension goes. If this vehicle gets to the point of making the RRT round of competing with various engines I would think that the coil-overs would be the easiest to make safe with the variety of engine weights. Not every group will have access to your brother's expertise (which is impressive) and I think the easiest to understand will be the safest for the variety of users. That said,I've been sitting long enough in one position. GPster

Mikej

Looks like more progress. Moose the pen striping looks nice. Frank if you change the rear axle height, will that effect the watts link?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Mikej"Looks like more progress. Moose the pen striping looks nice. Frank if you change the rear axle height, will that effect the watts link?

Not to any great extent. We might have to change link lengths if we go more than a couple inches, but that should be it.

Danimal

Yell for the next one. I was in Mexico for the last one! I enjoy the time at these builds.