Mufflers

Started by midnight sun, March 12, 2012, 12:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnight sun

Getting ready to install mufflers on the 48.  Want something that is fairly mellow but still has  some sound to it just not a loud drone going down the hiway.

checked out flowmaster and magnaflow so far.  baffle vs glasspack.

Thanks in advance
How can there be "self help" groups :?:

rumrumm

Dynomax hemi turbos are pretty quiet until you romp on it. A lot  of guys on other forums recommend them for good flow while maintaining a quieter exhaust sound.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

zzford

I'd go with the turbo mufflers, too. In my opinion, the Flowmasters are too loud.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

I used the Hushpower on my 40 coupe, really dislike them. Sound good at idle/low speeds, but horrible [to me] upon acceleration. I am looking for some tip/resonators to maybe help. Sure hate to redo a new coated exhaust. I am looking at Hedmans Hot Tips with resonators if anyone has any input.

Learpilot

I have Flowmaster 44. Sounds great ,but not too loud !
Rick

river1

what about Porters

http://www.portermufflers.com/porter-videos.html

maybe there is a similar set-up on that page

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

I'm a flowmaster fan. Trying to find the right one to suit your tastes can be trying. Too loud, too quiet. Too much grief. If there is an easy method, I don't know about it. I bought a set of deltaflow 40's on ebay. When I got them, they turned out to be super 40's. I have a very mild cam in my 32 and not much exhaust noise. The super 40's were boring. No character at all. I listened to the 05 and newer Mustangs and thought that might be a good muffler. I bought a brand new set on ebay and modified them to fit my 32. I made one 400 mile trip and removed them. The drone at road speed was horrible. I put the super 40's back on and started looking at what I saw on other cars. After several months of total boredom, I came back to the source of all useful info, the RRT! After asking a few questions, 2 members mentioned putting a bend in the system somewhere. I had short straight tailpipes  on the gt mufflers the first try. I put them back on and made some 18" pipes that exit behind the rear wheels. There is a 45* bend in them. Drone is gone. It was really great how the annoying sound vanished. With modern tech. inside the mufflers, it isn't like it was when we put glasspacks on and it sounded good. If you find a particular muffler that you like the sound of, that may be a beginning. It could take alot of experiments before you get the desired end results. Good luck and enjoy the search.
TEAM SMART

Okiedokie

I have a friend with a 65 Mustang with a stock 289/4 barrel. He has Smittys on it and it is a very nice sound to my ears.

Ernie Callen

Carnut

I'll use glass packs as long as I can find them.

Would you believe both my 40 Ford and my 77 C10 Pickup have 25yr old glasspacks on them? And they ain't stainless.

Famous last words, next time I go out to the garage I'm sure the tail pipes will be laying on the floor.

idrivejunk

I love glasspacks too. I tried a pair of Cherry Bomb Vortex muffs and was pretty happy with the deep idle sound and minimal highway speed drone.
Matt