Bear claw installation...

Started by My52Chebby, March 10, 2012, 03:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

When I started this installation, I thought it would be a lot more difficult than it actually was. I think the first side took about an hour to do and the other side even less.

Here is the original door jamb.

Placed the installation kit plate over the jamb in the location I wanted the pin to hit the latch. Trace the location and cut the hole. Had to cut the hole a bit bigger than the plate to remove the old hinge recess.

Fitted the installation kit plate and tacked it in place with the mig.

Fabricated a filler piece to fit above the plate I welded in and tacked IT in place.

Decided where the hinge bolt should be located on the door and marked it. Then I cut out the old hinge area on the door.

Welded a plate for the new bolt.

The whole job was a breeze.

My52Chebby

p.s.: The reason for the bolt being in the door instead of the cab is twofold. Firstly, there was not enough room in the door between the back edge of the door and the window track for the large bear claw units. Secondly, with the bolt on the cab I was told that it sometimes gets caught on your belt as your getting out of the truck.

enjenjo

I did one exactly the same way. I used a pair of Nissan pickup handles mounted sown near the floor, and connected by a cable to operate them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

My52Chebby

Quote from: "enjenjo"I did one exactly the same way. I used a pair of Nissan pickup handles mounted sown near the floor, and connected by a cable to operate them.

Mine will all be electrically operated but I am thinking of an emergency setup secretly accessible from the outside/underside of the truck.