Update

Started by 348tripower, February 27, 2012, 05:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Update,
The people that reconditioned the head left a plug out. It is in a oil passage. It looks to me that the there is not enough oil going to the VCT. I didn't see this when I put the head on. I am going to call them today and complain but there disclaimers make me at fault. Looks like i am going to have to cough up 200 bucks for a VCT pulley as it has a misalignment problem now. I think this is due to a lack of oil and the pulley shucking on the cam.
Don
Don Colliau

348tripower

I posted this under new topics by mistake. Maybe the mods would like to move it to the other post.
Don Colliau

jaybee

Man, that hurts! That "rattling" you described probably knocked the heck out of your cam advance mechanism
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

Ford Focus ST170 2002
Problem: Loss of power and fault code P1381
Solution: If there is a loss of power and diagnostic fault codes P1381 is triggered, the probable cause is the inlet camshaft valve timing has moved out of specification. This will lead the variable valve timing (VVT) to no longer function. The solution is to reset the timing to a revised specification. Other problems should also be investigated including air leaks, the brake servo pipe connection on the inlet manifold, oil level and the oil level indicator sealing ring. Special tools will be required to set the new revised timing. New camshaft timing has been used since 04/2002.

you probably have this info also...

its slightly earlier than the car you are working on...

http://www.justanswer.com/mercury/2z06t-1999-mercury-cougar-2-0l-bought-car.html

somebody put up a nice video on these also...

i just finished piecing together a 2005 chevy aveo...

at 82K it broke the timing belt tensioner.. or the idler..   hard to tell which broke first...   lets see... 16 new valves at 13 bucks each wholesale..  140 for a head gasket set..    96 bucks for head bolts..   another 160 for Timing belt..  tensioner idler.. water pump...  since somebody walked off with my 6MM / .236 valve grinding pilot i had to buy another for 50 bucks...  some new tiny valve grinding stones..   the special OHC valve spring compressor adaptor..

the worst part... i got it all put back together and did not hook up the engine coolant temp sensor connector..  no big problem..  other than the jiigsaw puzzle this car was as it was a basket case when it arrived..

it did also require... as do all the daewoo and the aveo motors a 41MM crow foot wrench to spin the water pump to get the automatic timing belt tensioner at the EXACT alignment point that you can ONLY see with a flash light and a mirror...    30 K belt and tension inspections and 60K replacement of the belts and tensioner/idler.. or face a really really expensive valve job..

and if you are thinking i have some fancy newer valve seating equipment..  its a hex drive sioux. (all the other sioux are star drive seat grinder drives) .  that when i needed a part for and i called sioux before the snap on buy out..  the owner of sioux said they had not sold that model since 1946...

oh... and a new rule for nascar sprint cup...

no bump drafting the jet drier trucks...

enjenjo

Quoteno bump drafting the jet drier trucks...

At least try to match the speeds a little closer.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Because the race cars are so solid I always pictured the trucks taking the worst of an encounter like that...but I'd say it was a draw.

The truck gets points for style, though...who can compete with that much fire?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

348tripower

That was a wild ride there.
 I got the Boomerang (CONTOUR) up and running. No over heating and the heater works again. This thing has had a head gasket problem for a long time. I had to buy a new VCT pulley to the tune of $227.00. The head rebuilder is supposed to make this right with me. We will see. I explained my position on this and he seemed cooperative. Wanted me to get it up and running to be sure there was no more problems.
Another valuable lesson.
Don
Don Colliau