Diagnosing power steering issue

Started by jaybee, February 21, 2012, 09:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

Anyone have some tips on how to diagnose whether weak power steering is a bad rack or bad pump?

Yeah, the pump whines...but it's a Ford.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

change the fluid first..

either make a mess and drop the return line carefully off the bottom of the plastic body..   something really really hard to do without snapping it off..     i normally use extreme caution.. when attempting this.. i also look to see if the return line is bulk hose and remove it at the tube clamp on the steering box or rack.. plug the open end after draining.. extend the tube from the rack into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it..  and the hose wired to not flip around..    i then have a friend start the engine and work the steering wheel from lock to lock as i pour fluid in from a gallon bottle to keep the level up..   while the old fluid sprays out into the bucket below..    

please.. have a big bag of oil sweep around when doing this..  

use a turkey baster ... squeeze out as much ps fluid as you can..

refill with fresh..      start the engine.. work the steering wheel from lock to lock a few times..  

remove more fluid..    replace with fresh..

start the engine and go lock to lock a few more times..

after you have done 2 quarts.. you have diluted the old PS fluid enough  that it may be quiet..

sometimes.. using type F atf will help as the base oil is slightly thicker..

oil change places have a really neat PS fluid exchanger..

it has a twin nozzle..  one suction and one delivery..     one tech operates this while the other tech runs the motor and steers the wheels as fast as he can..   equal parts of fluid are extracted as fresh is pumped in.. so the level never changes. this dilutes.. the old fluid .. to a point it is mostly clean..

the aluminum pumps used on many years of fords.. seem to only be about 40 bucks exchange if you don't need a the rear cover..

and if you are going to change the pump..

or the rack..

please flush the entire system BEFORE REPLACING ANYTHING..  or the warrantee will be void..

in one shop.. one of the owners rigged up a power steering pump and a ford starter motor from with the exposed drive..  to spin the pump and circulate fluid through steering boxes when the pump had failed.. to clean the system out..    the end of the hose was 3/8 inverted flair female. but he had adaptors.. so he could use it on various cars and trucks..   he was very creative..    he was also a PBY flight mechanic during WWII in the pacific..

jaybee

jaybee

Well, #1 son neglected to mention an important detail...he can't pour fluid in as fast as it runs back out. That might've been a good thing to know. I haven't been able to get more than a quick, obstructed glance because I'm working too much, but it runs out someplace right around the right end of the rack so I'm guessing a blown seal. Maybe not, maybe a hose instead but I'll need to take a better look first. It definitely forces out under pressure because it smells strongly of trans fluid, as if it's shooting a fine spray. If you fill it while cold it'll run out while sitting, if you fill it while warm it takes a while.