700 R4

Started by Dusty, February 19, 2012, 09:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

How do we know which model 700R4 to pick for street rod applications?  I think I heard one time that anything newer than 1989 was OK, and another time I heard about a swich location that identified the one to use, and then another time something about a number on the case, that would let you know which ones were better suited to our use....
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

wayne petty

this will help identify what you are looking at..

700R4 and 4l60 models have a Throttle valve cable..  this sticks up out of the case from the area next to the dip stick tube..  usually have 2, 3, or 4 wires in the harness..

4L60-E models DO NOT HAVE a THROTTLE valve cable.  as they are computer shifted..   have more wires in the harness ...

Dusty

Thanks wayne...
Is there any date that could be the starting year for the better models?
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

wayne petty

perhaps... you should know... there are THOUSANDS OF ways to build one of these...

you are almost asking what the best way to build a small block chevy..

they only made 700R4s and the 4L60 variant through 1992"?????

the 4L60 transmissions as far as i know have a removable bell housing.. this reduced the amount of cases needed for different applications.. just create a special bell housing..   much cheeper in the long run..

also allowed them to stick a transmission at the rear of the C5 corvettes.. kind of like a tempest torque.. with a long rod transmitting the torque from the engine to the rear mounted transmission..

1993 brought on the 4L60-E with computer commanded shifting..

88 to 91/92 units are probably the best..  of the non computer shifted..

the trick is..

the 4L60-E and the 4L65-E parts can be retrofit into some of the earlier cases...  there are also tons of performance parts to mix and match to create decent long lived transmissions..

if you are looking for a used one to swap in..    look for one that has already been rebuilt as many have been..  the newest ORIGINAL  never been rebuilt version is going to be over 20 years in service at this point..

there is at least ONE other fellow who knows about 100 times more than i do on transmissions..  as i stick to engines and other odd info..

the other fellow is crosley..  there is a LOT of knowledge on this board.. thank goodness..  and people who feel free to share it..  for the most part..

Dusty

Thanks again Wayne....
Yeah I know...I figured Crosley would have been in here before you...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

wayne petty

thinking about the corvette C5/C6 rear transmissions...

i have allways been curious.. if you could remove the extension between the bellhousing and the transmission..    so you could use the corvette transmission transaxle in a MID engine car..   putting the small block. or what ever in the back seat like a corvair mid engine conversion..

i never have gotten an answer..   perhaps it would have to be a corvair 4 door wagon.. or a 4 door sedan..  oh.. perhaps an Early Flat top corvair..  hmm..

when ever i open the engine bay door on my corvair powered VW bus. i am always looking for the recoil starter handle .. like on a lawn mower..

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Dusty"Thanks again Wayne....
Yeah I know...I figured Crosley would have been in here before you...

I've been under the weather again, go to bed early.

in the diagram wayne posts..  listed as ''circuit taps'',  those were deleted in a running change in late 1988 to 1989. Some cases the taps ports are completely gone, other trans case the spuds are there, but not drilled.

There is also a cast in raised line at the cooler line fittins.  Looks like a rainbow shape. You want that too.   Although the rainbow line was deleted on some cases in 1991 - 92 ... then you look for the pressure taps to be gone to verifiy 1988 or newer.

4L60E has NO cable for the TV , there is a electrical plug about 1.25 inches in diameter on the passenger side with many pins inside it.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"thinking about the corvette C5/C6 rear transmissions...

i have allways been curious.. if you could remove the extension between the bellhousing and the transmission..    so you could use the corvette transmission transaxle in a MID engine car..   putting the small block. or what ever in the back seat like a corvair mid engine conversion..

i never have gotten an answer..   perhaps it would have to be a corvair 4 door wagon.. or a 4 door sedan..  oh.. perhaps an Early Flat top corvair..  hmm..

when ever i open the engine bay door on my corvair powered VW bus. i am always looking for the recoil starter handle .. like on a lawn mower..

On corvette trans axle design,  unbolt the short  vette bell housing, bolt on a regular bell housing.  There are also a few aftermarket bells to bolt other brand engine to the 4L60E.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Dusty

Thanks Tony...it's a bummer being sick...Get well soon...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas

vso737

Hi Wayne,

Do you know what the "YD" under MODEL stands for??

How about "BF"??

I have a 1993 4L60 that I'm trying to ID the MODEL,  which is "BF".

Thanks a bunch,
Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

vso737

Picture of the ID #.......................

wayne petty

Year:   1993
Make:   CHEVROLET
Model:   CAPRICE
Engine Size:   5.7
Transmission Type:   4L60
Notes:   None
Tag ID:   3BFM
Case = 8673598
Tail = 8652497
Pump body = 8682132

mike..    there is another guy out there with the exact same transmission looking for the exact same info..  you might want to help him too... his posts came up 2 or 3 times during my search..

vso737

Quote from: "wayne petty"Year:   1993
Make:   CHEVROLET
Model:   CAPRICE
Engine Size:   5.7
Transmission Type:   4L60
Notes:   None
Tag ID:   3BFM
Case = 8673598
Tail = 8652497
Pump body = 8682132

mike..    there is another guy out there with the exact same transmission looking for the exact same info..  you might want to help him too... his posts came up 2 or 3 times during my search..

Thanks a bunch Wayne...............

It was probably me.  I have been trying to ID this tranny for a couple of years now...................

LG,
Mike

rumrumm

1985-86 700R4's are the ones to avoid. I was told by the guy who built my transmission that GM changed the design to counter the inherent weakness mid-1987. So anything from 1988 forward should be okay. I used a 1988 for my '32.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

vso737

FYI-

1993 was the last year for the 4L60 and the FIRST year for the 4L60E.........

I have a 1993 4L60 from a GM truck in my project.

You are welcome to follow the build at:  http://myks30@roadrunner.com

LG,
Mike :P