Ford steel wheel question

Started by Boyd Who, February 16, 2012, 02:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd Who

I managed to find a pair of Ford 14 x 6 front wheels for my Essex yesterday at a wrecking yard. They have the exact backspace that I was after, but when I got them home I discovered that they have the small center hole for the hub. I checked everything else but forgot about that.  :oops:

My question...is it safe to toss them on a lathe or mill and have the center hole enlarged?

enjenjo

I can say that I have done this in the past with no problems. I can also say that a lot of original wheels do not have the lip in the center. Most aftermarket wheels have a bigger hole so they will fit any thing. So is it safe or not? I would put a chamfer on the backside of the hole.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Boyd Who

Thank you, kind sir! Good to know it can be done.
How did you modify your wheels?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Boyd Who"Thank you, kind sir! Good to know it can be done.
How did you modify your wheels?

I took them to a buddy with a big lathe. Took him about 5 minutes each to do.

Boyd Who

Excellent. There's a big machine shop a few miles north of us who might be able to do the job. Thanks again!

Harry

I am led to believe that hub centred wheels are better than lug centred.
Any opinions?

enjenjo

Quote from: "Harry"I am led to believe that hub centred wheels are better than lug centred.
Any opinions?

Only if the lugs are not tightened properly. A properly tightened wheel will not move. Wide 5 Ford. Pontiac, and Volkwagen wheels kind of prove this.

Boyd Who

Just got the wheels back from the machine shop. Cost more $$ that I expected, but since it was work I couldn't do myself I had to bite the bullet.
If I can get over my * cold I might make it to the shop to mock these ones up.

Boyd Who

Picked up some new tires this morning. I found some 195/75/14 Cooper Trendsetter SE's that had a decent looking tread pattern.

The wheels will eventually be powder coated black and have trim rings and chrome lug nuts.

My next big decision is whether to run the blackwalls out, like in these pics, or should I run the narrow whitewalls out? I'm leaning towards blackwalls out.

chimp koose

Carnut

OK, I'll be contrary.  I like whilewalls on black wheels. Blackwalls only on chrome or aluminum wheels.

UGLY OLDS

Blackwalls ..Trim rings & HUBCAPS   :!:  ....

Or...... :idea:   Powder coat the wheels a contrasting color to the body   :?:  :?:

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Digger

Quote from: "Boyd Who"Picked up some new tires this morning. I found some 195/75/14 Cooper Trendsetter SE's that had a decent looking tread pattern.

The wheels will eventually be powder coated black and have trim rings and chrome lug nuts.

My next big decision is whether to run the blackwalls out, like in these pics, or should I run the narrow whitewalls out? I'm leaning towards blackwalls out.

There is only one opinion that matters--What do you like?

Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Boyd Who

My preference is black walls.   8)