How long the windsor series motors were installed in vans

Started by junkyardjeff, February 13, 2012, 11:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

I need to change the p/s pump in my 88 full size bronco and read on the bronco forums about using a saginaw pump off the vans,I grabbed one off a late 80s van but the bracket is for a different a/c compressor. I know the trucks had the windsor motors up to 96 but does anyone know if the vans used those motors later then the trucks.

enjenjo

I have a 93 van with a Windsor, no idea beyond that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

zzebby

Yes I had the same issue with those Ford pumps, noisy leakers. Frank put me onto the van ones but I never could find one where the GM Saginaw pump would line up with my existing pulleys.  Finally took pump and cast aluminum bracket from a 93 van and grafted it onto the 90 Mustang alum bracket on mine. A lot of cutting and grinding to fit them together and even made a jig to hold them in exact alignment while welding them together. Has been working weel for a year now. Even used the junkyard pump, silent and no leaks. Well worth the effort.

wayne petty

1996 was the last year for the cast iron motors ..  

the E150s could have the 4.9 six the 5.0 or the 5.8W

the E250s had the 4.9 six and the 5.8W motors..

looks like on a quick search that ford E150s starting around 1987 used the large saginaw pump instead of the ford slipper pump..

i am taking that you want to replace the ford aluminum pump with a delco pump...

A1 cardone actually sells a replacement delco that has been modified to fit many of the aluminum pump applications..   but it seems to be discontinued...

the 5.0 actually lasted a few years more in explorers..

1999 through 2001 Ford Truck Explorer AWD 5.0L EFI 8cyl
and it has a small what looks to be a saginaw pump..

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/atp/7124/image/4/

wayne petty

a few tricks with those slipper pumps. when repeated failures or noise happens...

type F power steering fluid has a thicker base oil..  

run some kind of power steering cooler.. some fords have a LONG loop on the return line thats bolted to the cross member..  make sure that its NOT dented.. where it will restrict flow  and not coated in grease and grime to prevent cooling..

installing a return line filter like is used on transmission cooler lines..

you will want to check the filter for restriction after a week..  as the pump circulates fluid constantly..  any restriction will cause the fluid to heat..

and when changing the pump...   disconnecting the line at the bottom of the pump.. plugging it... extending the removed line into a 5 gallon can...   having somebody start the engine and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock as fast as they can while you try to keep the pump suction opening covered with fresh fluid..   this usually takes a gallon of ATF to do this..  this flushes the box or rack completely..  when you put the new pump on..  there is nothing  but clean fluid in the system...  no bits of aluminum and steel floating around the system to tear up the pump...

there were also vacuum caps for removing any air from the fluid..   using the hand vacuum pump.. while the engine was running..  this left only fluid in the system.. removed the foam that kills pumps...

these are just things i do when i work on these..  a few tips..

one more thing...   find a level street..   get going in a safe area and let go of the wheel.... does the steering drift to the side...     if you have to keep the wheel turned to one side..  you will keep the spool valve off center and restrict the fluid flow causing the pump to heat the fluid till it stops lubricating..

so.. how is the front wheel alignment..   do you have a TTB front end..  that needs different camber bushings..    how are the axle pivot bushings..   how are the radius are bushings...  can you check the frame brackets where the inner axles bolt to the cross member..  i have had some of the rivets come loose and allow the suspension to shift wearing the tires and requiring more steering input to keep the truck running straight..

again.. just ideas..  knowledge for the back of your head..

nothing that you need to do..

junkyardjeff

The original pump is leaking so I would like to install the Saginaw pump instead of dealing with the Ford pumps,I thought the leak was from the cooler so I replaced it with a regular return hose so I looked closer and its the pump.  I am going to look at more vans to see if I can find one with the same a/c compressor or go back to the yard my parts came from and get the compressor that came off that van.