Scam FYI

Started by slocrow, January 17, 2012, 08:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Two days ago I got a call from a girl regarding the delivery service of Hotrod Magazine. She stated a company name, implying a checking service, which I didn't bother too remember. Caller ID showed private name, private number. On that call I stated everything including delivery was swell and the caller then responded by going into a sales pitch for an extension. I suggested to her that the right hand didn't know what the left was doing as I had just renewed till 2016. She said thanks and good-bye. I thought that was the end............wrong!
Tonight I got a similar second phone call regarding the delivery service of my Hotrod subscription. Again, caller ID showed private name, private number and again the same company name was mentioned as a delivery checking service. She addressed me by last name and said "my city name" was having a real problem with quality magazine delivery. Ironically by this time I had just received my latest issue which was water damaged so I remarked how timely her call was and asked if she was going to replace the copy. Also, my latest Rodders Journal looked like the dog chewed it so I was somewhat believing. She said she would have the companies replacement division get in touch with me in 3 or 4 minutes. Son-of-a-gun, I got a call back.

Let's review; 1) They had my phone number; 2) They addressed me by name, MR. Doe;  3) They new my city, Hometown, USA;  4) And that I received Hotrod Mag

The call back was a guy who had an east coast voice and again the caller ID showed private name, private number. He was smoother then either of the preceding girls. He mentioned the same delivery problem (kids were crying in the background-6:30EST) and promised to resolve it shortly as they were checking around as my town (named again) was having problems. He then stated he would be remiss if he didn't address my subscription renewal. I told him I recently had renewed until 16 and he said he new that and that's what he wanted to talk about.
He stated that my credit card, the Visa ending in a 4 was having a rejection process problem and that he needed the number again.
I told him "I don't think so as you called me and came in private number". Instant disconnect!

A couple of things; I don't use my little city on the Hotrod address, I don't have a Visa card and they only used my last name as an initial is used on the label for a first name.
I called Hotrod subscription and reported the incident and they're sending me a second issue. _________________________________________________
My thoughts:
With Hotrod being one of, if not the most popular car magazine, I think these folks are taking a shot with a car guy list they obtained somewhere like rod runs, hotels, contests, mag lists, etc. They first state they are calling about your Hotrod Mag and if you say I don't get it, I'd bet they're gone. If you bite they know you get it and then using the delivery service excuse may ask your address or city to get that, if they don't have it already. Then they may not call back for a couple of weeks. I'd guess each call tries to glean a piece of information until they get enough to feel comfortable going for the kill.
Just thought I'd pass it on so you'd be on guard........Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Harry

This is one reason I do not fill out those tickets for draws for free trips,
free anything. That way you don't get pestered to death with people phoning you for other crap.
Ever wonder where all the tickets go after the draw?
Sounds like Mr. Hot Rod rep has them.....

Rrumbler

So much of that claptrap going around these days.  We have taken to not answering any call IDed as Private, Unknown, 800 Service, or anyone we don't know - screening, my wife says.  We have told all of the important people in our life that if they don't ID, leave a short message, and we will call right back, if we are home.  I figure that if someone really has something to say to me, they will leave that message, or unblock their caller ID.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Crosley.In.AZ

Purty elaborate scam they had going. probably using stolen cell phone too.

I have zero , none , no mag subscriptions now.  Years back, I also used slightly altered name on each  subscription.  Then I knew which mag had sold my information when mail started to arrive with that name.

I forget which mag it was now... but one sold my information to a sheet load of companies. I called the mag and I received a line of bs as deep as the grand canyon.. ''they never do that'' .

So,  I wrote down the clown's name I spoke to and business address of the mag.  When I attended various car shows or what ever , where ever... I signed up for every ''free'' POS deal I could find with that A** clown's name and the mag's address in Calliefornia.

I felt better ,   anywho

:twisted:  :twisted:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48ford

Even the goverment is shackey with your info.
I had to go on social security,so
I fill out everything on line.
A few days later I get a call fron the SS office in our county seat.
The guy is just checking my info ,I said hold it.
He wanted to cofirm name,number addy banc info.
I ask are you nuts,ask his name and said I will be there in 1/2 hour.

the guy was weighting on me!
would not think the Goverment was run that loose.
I don't know what I would of done had  I lived in a big city with a big SS office,But Wood county is mostly farming and a state collage.
Later Russ

Charlie Chops 1940

My wife and I hardly ever answer any calls that come through as private, 800/866/etc service calls and are selectively answering any recognizable charities.

If they don't leave a message it's very likely they don't know me from squat and have zero legitimate business with me.

The magazine outfits are becoming an absolute PITA too.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat46

I only answer the phone when i know the incoming number. Before i had caller I.D. if i answered and it was any type of sales call, I would tell them I don't respond to any sales pitch that i didn't initiate and if they wanted to send my info in the mail i'd look it over. If the next words from them weren't "o.k." or "thank you" i just hung up. Now they are actually trying to pull this crap in person, I had a gal show up on my porch a few weeks ago telling me how her company could lower my ultility bills by X percent, all they wnted was to see my last months electric bill to comfirm my name and address. :roll:  I just told her no thanks and closed the door. when i told my wife she said the same people had been by in the summer trying the same thing. Mt wife had called the police and they wanted to know which way the woman had gone as they were looking for them.

UGLY OLDS

I just received  & forwarded a phising scam for Pay-Pay .... It actually asked for all the info in the normal Pay-Pal account to be "verified & updated" ...

The Red Flags  :?:

It was sent to an E-Mail Address Pay-Pal does not even knows exists .. :?

The return addy was "PayPa1 @ %^&%^&#&..... :shock:

You would think they would know better ...  :roll:
BUT ..3 weeks ago ..Someone got our Discover Card info ..The usual .. Two small "test" charges , then $2500.00 + ...Discover caught it & contacted us ..We had to change accounts ...Again... :evil:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

butch27

I'm on the national NO CALL LIST. Today I got 3 calls and the first thing they say is "We're not sell anything , we are a survey company. That's how they get around it.  DARN

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "butch27"I'm on the national NO CALL LIST. Today I got 3 calls and the first thing they say is "We're not sell anything , we are a survey company. That's how they get around it.  DARN

that is the current thing the phone solicitors do now.   They claim to be taking surveys, they are not.

I filed another complaint with FCC consumer complaint section on a company a week ago. I have no idea if the complaint with FCC does any good.  I do receive follow up emails about 30 - 45 days after I file, automated email claims my complaint is on file and being investigated.  LOL

I chased down a company in Canada in december that was calling me for a ''survey'' on financial stuff for my business. I told them 3 times over the summer I was not a business and they were calling a private phone number.  The Canadian company claims they have taken my cell number out of their system... time will tell.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

reborn55

Good luck all.  the Do Not Call list si a joke---I have been inundated with unwanted phone calls for probably 5-6 years and cannot get them to stop.  Drug companies, surveys. telemarketers.  I have complained all the way to the FCC in D.C.  My local congressman's aide chased with me all the way to D.C. where I talked to a real person and basically said there was not much they could do unless a number of people complained about the same number.  Nice to know what our government does for us.

parklane

Seems like we get a person in weekly for charity donations at my place of business. What has really stopped them dead in their tracks, is that I ask them the administration fee percentage that said charity charges. No one has been able to give me an answer. I then ask them to get back to me when they get the info, but no one has come back. Yes, we do give to some charities, and mostly the Sally Ann - {Salvation Army), as we know the great work they do. :wink:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??