401/409 AMC is alive!

Started by fast401, January 11, 2012, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fast401

The engine that has been under construction for the last year finally came to life on Sunday.  I do have some issues with the twin 500 cfm carbs but that will get sorted out on the dyno in the next few weeks.  I can hardly wait to see what kind of numbers this little monster puts out!  I hope I am not dissapointed.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

enjenjo

Refresh my memory, is this a Kohler or a Briggs?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Carnut"Did AMC use Briggs?

No they did not but the AMC guys sneak them into their cars just to get a little more horsepower out of them.

fast401

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

No they did not but the AMC guys sneak them into their cars just to get a little more horsepower out of them.

Boy you guys don't know much about AMC!  Everybody knows that the AMC was powered by Kelvinator.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

I always thought that Tecumseh  was the "optional" power plant ... :?    
They made them right down the street ..... :shock:

I know that using an Onan would quadruple the OE horsepower  :roll:

They  should have tried using  Kelvinator...That would have made  AMC's "cool" .. :lol:  :lol:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

You people are cold...that's why I like it here.   :twisted:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

fast401

Talked with the builder today.  Front carb is whistleing and will need a rebuild.  Still not sure if I should use progressive linkage.  I have been running both carbs as one unit.

enjenjo

I run progressive on my 454. It starts and runs better cold, and cruising fuel mileage improved.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Carnut

I always ran progressive on the dual 4's on my coupe.

heh, heh, my dual fours always whistled. They were early AFBs and had an big ole air screw on the front in the middle, Adjusting that screw for best idle always brought on a whistle.

Some of my friends in the day always remarked they could hear me coming and know it was me because of the whistle.

fast401

We ran the engine on the dyno and it pumped out 366hp and 401 torque with massaged exhaust manifolds.  Switched to shorty edelbrocks and only saw a 6hp and 9 torque increase.  The last run was with long tubes and it stomped out 420hp and 460 torque.  The 401 runs really good and I can finally say it's ready to go into the car!!!!!!!

kb426

Congratulations. I hope it all works out as you planned.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I guess you will be running the long tube headers ?

fast401

Quote from: "chimp koose"I guess you will be running the long tube headers ?

Probably not as the car sets to low for long tubes.  Sure wish I could.  Any body want to build some custom headers?

Danimal

Funny, we were just talking about the Detroit Kelvinator building on Plymouth road today at the build day. It was Jeep Truck for a while and the lobby has pictures of the WWII helicopters that Kelvinator/Nash built with Sikorsky!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1945-Nash-Kelvinator-Sikorsky-Helicopter-Factory-Photo-/290548053388

What, no wankle?