Wire terminal crimping kit problem

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 22, 2011, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I have the ratchet crimper #18920 Tool Aid brand... see photo) Had the tool for several yrs, seldom use it because of problems

When I use this on regular insulated terminals, all goes well.  Any other style terminal I can not get the crimp correct.

Non insulated terminals , I burned thru about 5 terminals (2 sizes)  trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I tried 2 different jaws that come in the kit on non insulated terminals.

I must have wrong terminals, wrong jaws , wrong something.  I tried terminals facing both directions in the jaws.

Problems range from crushed terminal. the terminal will stick in the die jaws.  I try different size terminal in different jaws, no improvement.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

hmm..

there are dozens of different tools to crimp various shapes of terminals..

i am not talking about insulated soldered barrel crimps..

i am talking about

you might really want to look carefully through the digikey catalog..

through an amp tool catalog..

http://www.digikey.ca/?curr=CAD

my brother spent his life with a tool box full of various crimp tools.. some costing hundreds of dollars each..  some low life walked out the door with it while my brother was not looking..   my brother built and repaired recording equipment..

do you have a frys electronics in your area.. they have a whole isle of various tools used in automotive electronics..

i bought 3 or 4 sets of specialized crimpers off various tool trucks.. none but the proper ones my brother had worked as good as i liked.   i will look around and see if i can find the AMP crimper catalog..

if you are crimping delphi/ delco weatherpack.. micropack  do you still have the delphi connector catalog i linked a several years ago..  there are tools specified in there also..

in case you missed it..

http://connectors.delphi.com/DCSGDMCS/DCS/Catalog/DownloadCatalog.aspx

its the upper link... and it was big as i recall..

this is a faster link to the first 10 of 12 delphi connector tools...

http://terminalsupply.net/Store/Default.aspx?CAT=DEL120&PCAT=54228#Categories

enjenjo

In your photo I do not see the correct dies for non insulated terminals.

You can see the correct dies here  http://www.whiteproducts.com/tools.shtml

fourth picture down.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

I will try to photo a set of jaws this evening... look similar to those Frank mentions.  The terminal would stick in the jaw and the tool was very hard to finish the crimp.  So something is wrong with how I am doing this.. I will look for the failed terminal crimps too   or do some more. I need to figure this out.

Wayne...  I have money invested in wire strippers.  I look for a set that will not cut off strands of wires with the cover. Some are worse than others.  I have a couple pair of wire strip tools here that I should toss, they are new but dont work fer crap
Tony

wayne petty

perhaps i am getting this wrong as usual...

are you crimping wire terminals that are like insulated terminals with a closed barrel.. but missing the insulation sleeve..   crushing the 0 into a ^  and you are coming out with a ~

or open terminals where you have to fold the U  into something like a B shape.. where the ends of the open sides are folded into the wire...

if you are crimping the closed  barrel version of non insulated  terminals...

perhaps this is what you are looking for...

http://www.channellock.com/909-THE-CRIMPER-Crimping-Tool.aspx

if you have OSH hardware stores near you .. they have a made in china Osh branded version that works great...

sears companion also sells a set that has different shape to the openings that i also like a LOT ..   the OSH versions are what i dig in my tool box for when i need to crimp stuff..

even harbor freight sells a version..

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-half-inch-wire-crimping-tool-36411.html

i did not mention strippers..  as i am out of one dollar bills right now..

for tough wire insulation.. i even have a set of hot blade strippers for stripping the teflon insulated wire..   but i have way more tools than i need often..

you could always weld or add some brazing to the u shape and take it back out with a chain saw file to get to the exact right shape..

river1

Quote from: "wayne petty"perhaps i am getting this wrong as usual...

i ain't seen that happen yet!! so just keep it up

after all you are the fixer of most things broken

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

photo of jaws  and wire crimps.  These crimps do not look too bad here.  one I did not have in the jaw correctly,

This 14 gauge wire, insulated style terminal with plastic tube removed from terminal.  A high amount of force is needed to crimp.

Crimped in jaw location marked 16 - 14
Tony

enjenjo

For that type of crimp, you want the dies that is in the first picture Wayne posted, the one with a crescent and pin. It would also work with the die set clear to the right in the picture of your tool.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"For that type of crimp, you want the dies that is in the first picture Wayne posted, the one with a crescent and pin. It would also work with the die set clear to the right in the picture of your tool.

If that would be the ''909 crimper'' tool.  I have the Snap - on version.

I will return to use of the Snap on tool , sell the Tool aid brand I guess
Tony

wayne petty

you will find the tool aid crimper handy at some point in the future...

or sell it..  

that is the tool needed for the bulk head terminals, computer  and transmission wire  terminals in most applications..

i don't know if your  T shop creates wiring harnesses for sale yet.. that is the basic tool..   automated are far better. but a thousand times more expensive that that tool.. automated probably start at 10 grand..

so harness assembly might be a use for it..

Crosley.In.AZ

Here are photos of crimps with my Snap-On tool similar to thje ''909 crimp tool'' Wayne posted about.

Wayne, we do not build harnesses at Hughes. We may modify a harness for internal use which is simple cut - splice - butt connector use.... like a 4L80e. You can create a 1 wire full manual shift 4L80e trans via wire harness mods.

Sure glad you folks help me with this deal. I was trying to do better connections for the 1962 Falcon switch panel I built.

I put a touch of solder on each connector.  Then I add some heat shrink tube with adhesive inside the tube.  I have been buying stuff from Del City
Tony

wayne petty

we do not build harnesses at Hughes. We may modify a harness for internal use which is simple cut - splice - butt connector use.... like a 4L80e. You can create a 1 wire full manual shift 4L80e trans via wire harness mods.

i guess you must use the manual lever position sensor for its switching,,

about a decade ago.. i used a 5 button version of this interlocking push button switch in an old modem case... to control the solenoids on a JR403E

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PB-163/8-BUTTON-INTERLOCKING-PUSH-BUTTON-ASSEMBLY/1.html

i studied the various internal clutches..
there were several devices to control.. the A and B solenoids.. the overrunning clutch solenoid and the TCC solenoid.. i did not have anything to control the pressure regulator so since it was high.. i just left it alone..

for first.. i engaged the first gear solenoid.. for second third and forth. .i engaged the overrunning clutch solenoid also.. for added clutches to increase the torque ability of the transmission..  for the 5th button.. i locked the TCC and left the overrunning clutch unlocked..  so it would not have engine braking..   coming to a stop he just had to hit the first button.. that took the transmission down to first and ready to go..  it was on a long piece of wire through the floor pan of the 78 seville..

that car actually got sold to a guy in AZ someplace just a few months ago..   i could never finish the TCM install as there was NO ROOM at all for the gas pedal from the izuzu NPR..  his previous mechanic had filled that area with wires and hoses for the AC..

this is a short video of the engine running.. does not sound great at that point..  but he put 10s of thousands of miles on it..   really drew a crowd when we pulled up at toms truck center and opened the hood with it idling and we walked away..

wvcab

soldering has been the go to for years, it provides a very positive way to attach 2 or more wires together.  the con. soldering  causes the solder to "wick" past the connection, and the wire is prone to viabration fatiuge wire the solder has quite wicking to...

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "wayne petty"we do not build harnesses at Hughes. We may modify a harness for internal use which is simple cut - splice - butt connector use.... like a 4L80e. You can create a 1 wire full manual shift 4L80e trans via wire harness mods.

i guess you must use the manual lever position sensor for its switching,,

No , the internal pressure manifold is used to activate the shift solenoids.

There is now a plug on box availible , you plug on to the case connector of the 4L80E to provide a full manual shift. Main line pressure can run wide open or there are a couple ways to control main line pressure if desired

8)
Tony