MSD or GM points distributor!?

Started by Topsterguy, November 22, 2011, 05:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Got a dilema here! I have a 385 "FB" sbc in my '32 and it has a GM points distributor in it and works fine. I have a MSD "ready to run" electronic one that I'm tempted to put in but I'm torn because I had an MSD one go away on me on a trip in another car a few years ago.  Seems to me you can always stick in a set of points in a bind but the electronic thing makes me wonder!  Waddyathink !?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

UGLY OLDS

I try to use stock Electronic Ignitions ...( HEI--Dura-Spark-Etc) .. As long as you keep a list of what its from , you can get parts almost anywhere...

I remember buying an HEI moudle at Wally-World to get a buddy's car running ..We were 350 miles away from home ..... :shock:

Bob ..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Topsterguy

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"I try to use stock Electronic Ignitions ...( HEI--Dura-Spark-Etc) .. As long as you keep a list of what its from , you can get parts almost anywhere...

I remember buying an HEI moudle at Wally-World to get a buddy's car running ..We were 350 miles away from home ..... :shock:

Bob ..... :wink:

The problem is that the points one is the small size , and the MSD is the small one too because I don't have room for the GM HEI. There are alternatives using the points dist ( Pertronics etc) but I already have the MSD one.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

put in the  the MSD, you can fix it on the road with a standard HEI module if needed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Thanks guys! :)   I bit the bullet and slipped the MSD in tonite.  I'll just carry an extra module with me on road trips! :roll:

BFS57

Hello;
Try Dave's small body HEI or "Sparkman" to find dave. He makes a HEI out of a stock chevy (or any other) Dizzy!

Bruce

38HAULR

Even though modern electronic devices are pretty reliable .If in any doubt or any fear.
Carry a spare module in the vehicle.

Frank.