Adapting electronic A/C to rod

Started by ragdol, November 10, 2011, 12:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

Has anyone here any experience adapting electronic A/C compressor to a rod? I am building a '37 Plymouth coupe with a '55 Dodge hemi, & I don't want a compressor hanging the engine. I want to keep it old timey looking. I looked at Prius, but that compressor runs off a 200VAC motor. Could a DC motor be used? What HP would be required? Is there a more adapter friendly unit out there? Larry

wayne petty

lets take a close look at the prius AC compressor

http://askpete-hella.com/2011/09/18/electric-drive-refrigerant-compressor/

pictures on the link above...

Electric-drive refrigerant compressor for hybrid vehicles
For TOYOTA PRIUS (ZVW30) 1.8

Integrated inverter for high voltage

Air-conditioning operation can be controlled by radio remote control

Special lubricant required

Product features

First electric refrigerant compressor in the Behr Hella Service range
Scroll technology
ca. 20% less weight than the Toyota Prius II compressor
ca. 20% less capacity than the Toyota Prius II compressor
The electric drive allows use of the air-conditioning system even with the engine switched off
The compressor power is regulated by a control unit. The cooling capacity of the scroll compressor is regulated depending on speed
Technical Details

Exploded view

Key

Scroll compressor unit
Electric motor unit
Fixed scroll unit with valve plate
Moving scroll unit
Compressor housing
Rotor (brushless)
Stator winding with housing
Inverter and control unit
High-voltage connection
Air-conditioning control unit connection
Low-pressure connection for refrigerant circuit
High-pressure connection for refrigerant circuit
Pressure relief valve

Technical data
Net weight: 4,623 g
Gross weight: 5,487 g
Drive: through 3-phase high-voltage with up to 288 V
Control unit or inverter: integrated
Oil filling quantity: ca. 140 ml*
Use: for refrigerant R134
Capacity: fix 140 ccm
Type: Denso ES14
Technology: Electric-drive scroll compressor

* To guarantee sufficient insulation for high-voltage parts of the compressor against the compressor housing and vehicle chassis, a special oil (Denso ND11 or comparable) with special insulating properties must be used.

Special safety measures must be heeded during work on hybrid vehicles (e.g. manufacturer's specifications)

Product overview

Part number: 8FK 351 342-001

OE numbers*: 88370-47030 88370-47031

now.. i just saw toyota prius inverters for like 300 bucks on ebay..  how those work?????  i have not dipped my fingers into the high voltage world yet..   when i do .. they will be coated in rubber gloves that have been air pressure tested..   no leaks..

the inverter controller varies the 3 phase AC voltage to control compressor speed to keep the pressure at proper ratios for cool passenger compartments..

i don't know if there are other brands available yet..

you might be a few steps ahead of the curve ... but there are a LOT of hybrid cars coming out that might have different systems..

wayne petty

since you are building a 37 plymouth coupe..

if you have a local PBS or local government station that plays ARTs video when they are not in regular programming..

you might want to toss in a tape.. or set your Tivo to record the whole nights worth..   i don't have a tivo.. and am out of blank VHS tapes right now.

this morning this weeks ARTs 8 hour loop ran a video from The Voyager Company..  titled Elegy to the assembly line..  dated 1936... it showed the plymouth assembly line building the entire car...  it was very interesting..  all the riveting done by massive assembly line machines with shafts spinning in from each side..  mad men with hammers pounding on the frames while the rivets are being hammered by the machines..

the stamping presses forming the body..  

the spot welding of the body panels..