headlights, big or small ?

Started by zzebby, November 07, 2011, 01:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzebby

Getting back to work on the 34 and doing wiring of fan, horns, etc and looking for a place to put the relays....one thing led to another and I should mount the headlights too.  I have the original rough front fenders but that will take years so I'm running rear fenders only for now.   Maybe a hood top only. Yes I know the grill needs to be more upright, the fan is in the way and I'll get it corrected,  but which headlights would you use?  I'm kinda leaning towards the big stainless originals but would like some input.  Also any advice on signal lights ?  If I use the painted little headlights with the tiny light on top then there is my answer.  I only have one but I think they are available ??

zzebby

mmmmm  need a little practise on resizing pics...last one may be too small.

phat46

I like big headlights, especially when the high beams are on.... 8)

sirstude

I like the big commercial lights.  My Vicky has King Bee's on it, and I plan to swap them out for commercial lights when I get that far.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

GPster

With all that shinnyness of the grill I think big painted head lighs look out of place. The vertical direction of the grill bars makes the nose look narrower and the hood top tapering down to the grill width follows the thin idea. I think the big painted headlight hanging out by themselves detract from that style. The big painted head lights will be pleasing to the eye with fenders but un-fendered in the front I thiink calls for small shinny headlights. Of course I also think the back fenders with their running board front edge will be out of place too. GPster

rumrumm

Quote from: "GPster"With all that shinnyness of the grill I think big painted head lighs look out of place. The vertical direction of the grill bars makes the nose look narrower and the hood top tapering down to the grill width follows the thin idea. I think the big painted headlight hanging out by themselves detract from that style. The big painted head lights will be pleasing to the eye with fenders but un-fendered in the front I thiink calls for small shinny headlights. Of course I also think the back fenders with their running board front edge will be out of place too. GPster

I agree with GPster.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Carnut

I'm a small headlight guy, but that only applies to cars.

zzford

When I first built my 33, I used polished stainless king bees for the lights. Although, they looked fine, the front of car really came alive after I replaced them with chrome 32 headlites. It looked SO much better.

kb426

I bought Vintique 32 headlights with halogen and turn signals inside. I liked the way they looked but they were totally ineffective in the dark. I bought a set of 7" from Rodworks that have the halogen and the led turn signals. Now I can see. I don't like the look but I can see about 1/4 mile on high beams. The 32 style were good for about 150'.
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Mark me down for the big lights ...  The '34 grille kind of overpowers the little lights ......Makes them look like an "afterthought" ....

Jus' my 0.02....... :lol:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

moose

I would run the smaller lights till the fenders are done then mount the larger ones on the fenders.....

moose

chimp koose

Big lights with the signals inside.

river1

little headlights with nice signal lights attached

on hotrods also

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

zzebby

Wow, kinda split decision. The original big lights will cost big $ to straighten and polish the stainless.  The small ones with tiny signal lights on top are available reasonable and I can paint them. Solves the signal light decision.  Still, I like the look of the big stainless ones.  I'm a procrastinator, so I'll make mounts and then decide.  Goodguys Phx is next weekend and I'll gander the fenderless rods there. Will let you know. Thanks for the feedback.

zzebby

OK, I will be using the original big stainless headlights. There is a ring around the front inner lip that is not stainless and has rusted to nothing so I'm machining a new one of aluminum and will bond it in with epoxy.
Question: I want to get the reflector out of a new car that accepts the halogen bulb, hopefully a round one and then mount it in the old bucket. Anyone done this ? Suggestions ?