Kickdown for Turbo 400 and other ? !

Started by Old Blue, October 16, 2011, 12:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Blue

My 36 has a Turbo 400 in it right now.
It has no kickdown linkage from the throttle linkage and no obvious kickdown switch or anything I can see.

The trans has a holeshot converter, (also being removed) and shifts fine as an auto on it's own. It is equipped with a shift kit and works fine just won't kick down unless you do it manually.

It has a B&M shifter (scary thing with no neutral safety switch) that is going to be removed in favor of a new Lokar shifter.

Questions.
1) How will the Lokars neutral safety swich be wired in ?
2) What should it have for a kickdown ? Linkage or ?
3) Should I consider pulling the TH400 in favor of a newer OD Auto and if so which one is the easiest to install and make work right ?

Lots of ?  :lol:  But you don't know unless you ask  :)

Crosley.In.AZ

you need to decide what trans you will stay with or use first.  Is the cross member easy to relocate?

You will need to change the yoke from 32 spline to 27 spline if the current t-400 has the large output shaft for a 4L60/700r4 or 200-4r or t-350.

t-400 uses lectric kick down. a switch any where on throttle or at carb will work.  SOme folks use switch at carb with a spring so switch is pulled at 5/8 to 3/4 pull.

Lokar uses a special switch on shifter for neutral /  park starting.  Lokar has a little thread in tool that you adjust the switch posiiton with. I am always amazed at the number of folks that do not use a neutral switch.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

papastoyss

If you stay w/the 400t Lokar also has a neat kickdown switch that mounts off the trans pan bolts & has an adjustable cable to the carb.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!