The Great Louisville Flood of years back

Started by 41woodie, September 20, 2011, 11:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

41woodie

I just dug these out to show some friends, I'm sure a lot of you remember this.  I was there with my sons in our Model A Sedan Delivery.  Unlike most of the folks we didn't go in the exhibitors building when the storm hit.  We were sitting in the Model A when I noticed an ice chest float by and decided we needed to move.  The boys and I got out and were helping push cars out of the water.  Unfortunately there were too many cars and many flooded before the push crew arrived.  Several of the cars that we pushed were in Park of course but there was enough water that they could be pushed sideways.  A lot of fine cars damaged that day.[/list]

rumrumm

I was there but did not have my rod there. When I left to go home, the interstate north was under water and I had to sit on the interstate for four hours until they opened it. The cars in the other lane going south were backed up 11 miles.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

My son was there.. He used that storm as a model for his senior year paper before graduation .. ( He is a degreed Meteorologist   :?  ) .....
He also helped push LOTS of cars ...

It was also the first rod run he took his car to alone..( Without "Mom & Dad" ... :shock: ) ...

Bob ... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

moose

I was also there. Fortunately I overslept that morning. :oops:  The flood occured where we had parked the day before and if there had been space I would have been underwater :shock: . I ended up in front of the exibitors building on high ground.

What was it 12 inches in less than two hours????

The pictures bring back memories. Friends got wet but only up to the front ends sparing the interior and engines!!!

Tm

n.c.rodder

'92 was my first trip to Louisville. Hard to believe next year it will be "20" years.....where has the time gone!!!! :shock:  :shock:

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

Carnut

Yeah, I was also there in 92 in my 40 Ford Tudor.

That was when I was into 'Video' which essentially was a total waste of effort for me. I'm just not a videographer.

Anyhow I did get some pretty primitive video here:

http://carnut.org/photo/video/92/nsra92.html

the video may or may not work for you, it's long and not on youtube.

When it started to rain hard on Sat afternoon, I fired up the 40 and headed out. There was traffic and some torrential rain by the time I got off the grounds but I managed to head on out toward Bowling Green and the Corvette factory.

Heh, heh, my windshield wipers sure did get a workout.

papastoyss

We were there, I was in the vendor bld.  with a friend. My wife rode out the storm in our 32 Chevy sedan.Luckly we were parked over by the west wing on higher ground . Carpet around door sills got wet, all else was ok. A  friend had a 47 Lincoln coupe, it was in the deep water, he managed to get fluids changed& drove back to Nashville, by the time he got home all the wheel bearings were shot.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

47convert

I was there too with a pro street Deuce pickup. Lucky for me I parked high and dry. I remember looking outside from the loading dock door and the water was right up to the door. Someone had to warn another guy not to step out there - he didn't realize it was a dock and would have dropped about 4 feet into some pretty murky looking water. We pushed a bunch of Hot Rods out of the water. They kept announcing not to try to start your engine if you were in the water. I wonder just how many motors got hyrauliced that day. Lots of wet interiors too. I was always surprised there wasn't more publicity about the carnage.