My "New" 36 Ford Humpback.

Started by Old Blue, September 18, 2011, 11:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Blue

Went and did the deal on this 36 Ford humpback 2 door sedan today.
The guy I bought it from has owned it for 30 years.

It's a 70s style build with a 327 and Turbo 400. The drivetrain has next to nothing for miles on it after a rebuild not too long ago.

It has some sort of Ford rear end, I'll have to ID it but at first glance it may be a bit wide for the car.

It has an independant front end, I'm guessing it is a Corvair or maybe even Pacer ? It has a front mount rack so I'm not sure there either.

The front end is also too wide for the car from the look of things so one update will see a TCI Mustang II go in. It has a GM tilt coulmn.

The paint is 28 years old but in decent enough shape. The interior is done with an old style with velour inserts but is serviceable for now.

The body is great, it's never been rusty as it was a nice original car to start.

I got the hood sides as well as the trim strips for them too.

Plans call for the MII and lowering in the rear and new rolling stock in the form of WV smoothies with 41 caps and trim rings.
Oh yes, and removal of the tunnel ram intake.

Later on will be new paint and interior down the road. In the meantime I'll update the suspension and rolling stock and drive it .

39deluxe

GPster

Corvairs did not have R/P steering. Back 3o years ago most of the problem with Corvairs was with people using a rack that was too long. I wouldn't think that car has a Corvair front end unless it has very deep dished front rims as the Corvair was narrower than Mustang II. Purple Pickup has a Corvair under it and he's left it there so he might make a comment. Pacer front ends have a front rack but Chassis Engineering seems to be the only one I've ever heard of reccommending it but I'd respect their view on things and maybe You could talk to them about it. Maybe because you plan on changing wheels and because tread width seems to be a big concern you can look at this. A lot of the 4x4 SUV (Jeep) are running negative off-set wheels with the 4 1/2" x 5" lug pattern. Maybe you could find a set of wheels that would help aliviate the width problem. That might allow you to enjoy the purchase before you have to tare (tear?) it down. GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

I had a Corvair IFS with Chevelle spindles and disc brakes  under a fendered A Vicky back in the early 80's. I was running 15x5 wheels and the fit was good. A Corvair under a '36 would fit a bit better than what you have there.. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a Pacer as they were generally considered too wide for early fat fender Ford. They had a rack as I recall but I don't remember whether it was front or rear.

A Corvair IFS is hopelessly outdated today and many of the control arm bushings and such are hard to find, much less good a-arms and crossmembers. They only stock disc brake fitment was from a '69 which were scarce. Chevelle spindles can be swapped in but it takes a ball joint swap also. There never was a good fitting r&p although that might be easier to remedy today.

Although the MII may not be the best IFS out there in terms of geometry they work quite well and there are many good kits available that would work on the sedan. Of course you could always go back to a dropped axle.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

jaybee

Great score...have fun with it!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Old Blue

Turns out that it is a Corvair front end with Chevelle spindles and brakes and a Pinto rack and pinion.

Was installed well enough but is definitely too wide. So it will be coming out and TCI MII is going in.

The 327 is coming out and will be sold. The engine was built with 11.5  compression pistons and does not have hardened valve seats.

It also has a 327-365 HP cam and it just doesn't run that well on unleaded fuel.

Got a good deal on a new 350 crate engine to replace it.  ($1800)

tom36

Nice Car---Good choice  :wink:  :wink:   Tom...

Old Blue

Quote from: "tom36"Nice Car---Good choice  :wink:  :wink:   Tom...

Hey Tom,  Good looking 36  :)

I want to upgrade my rear suspension too. It has some sort of paralell leaf spring arrangement now.

I'd like it lower, not sure what to do here.

Any ideas, how is yours done ? Pictures ?

tom36

Quote from: "Old Blue"

I want to upgrade my rear suspension too. It has some sort of paralell leaf spring arrangement now.

I used a Chassis Engineering parallel leaf kit and I thought it was to high for my tastes so I put in 2" lowering blocks  to bring it down.  I used a Heidts Mustang ll kit up front with stock, not dropped, spindles.  Tom...

Old Blue

Quote from: "tom36"
Quote from: "Old Blue"

I used a Chassis Engineering parallel leaf kit and I thought it was to high for my tastes so I put in 2" lowering blocks  to bring it down.  I used a Heidts Mustang ll kit up front with stock, not dropped, spindles.  Tom...

I looked at that one, although I have the parallel leaf setup now, I was also considering the Progressive triangulated 4 bar kit.

That one could be difficult to install with the body still in place though.

GPster

You do exceptional work and I'm sure that owning a car with 'SHODDY" looking fabrication would bother you. Also sometimes adding lowering blocks looks like a second though tto a design. Why don't you have a set of leaf springs manufactured for the application. Posie's or some spring manufacturer can take the placement of the rear end and the spring hangers and the weight of the vehicle and engineer springs to do what you want. There are may ways to do something and sometimes we might miss one. GPster

Nice car! Posies setup will get you a few inches lower as they mount inside the frame as opposed to C/E that mount below the frame rail.I have used their setup on many 35/40 Fords and am very happy with both the stance and ride.Good luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"