Stainless steel polish

Started by EMSjunkie, August 05, 2004, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMSjunkie

Finally got the stainless steel firewall in, now I need to polish it. started wth some Barkeepers friend, it does good for the initial polish, but I want a mirror finish. anybody got any ideas? anybody used jewlers rouge?
thanks for the input.

Vance

"make a Paramedic happy, wear your seat belt"
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

moparrodder

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Finally got the stainless steel firewall in, now I need to polish it. started wth some Barkeepers friend, it does good for the initial polish, but I want a mirror finish. anybody got any ideas? anybody used jewlers rouge?
thanks for the input.

Vance

Vance,  I have had good luck with Wenol, put it on like any polish by hand till you see a black film and then buff it out by hand or buffer.  Jewelers rouge can be used, but there is different grades to use on different types of metals, ya need to get the one for stainless and you can use a buffer to make it shine, just don't burn it by staying in one spot with too much pressure and keep the buff clean of buildup and you should have a real nice shine.  

Bill

EMSjunkie

Thanks for the tip, I have heard of Wenol, just did'nt know what it was used for. is it kinda like Brasso? how far are you from Waterloo? I have a buddy up there who is in to GTO's.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

moparrodder

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Thanks for the tip, I have heard of Wenol, just did'nt know what it was used for. is it kinda like Brasso? how far are you from Waterloo? I have a buddy up there who is in to GTO's.

Vance

Vance,  I haven't used Brasso but Wenol is a cream like stuff and it comes in a tube or a can and they have a polish for painted surfaces too.  You can use it on chrome, aluminum,brass.copper,stainless,silver,gold. It doesn't take very much, a little dab will go a long way.
  I live on the west side of the state, about 50-55 miles north east of Omaha,Nebraska on U.S. Highway 30.  I also see you're a trauma junkie too,  8)   my wife and I are fire fighter- EMT's in our vollenteer fire and rescue dept here in Dunlap.       Catch ya later,   Bill

EMSjunkie

Hey Bill, glad to see other rodders helping out! I have been a Paramedic for about 16 years, am also a Respiratory Therapist. Waterloo is on the other side of the state, and a little north of you. used alot of Brasso in the Corps, don't know how it would work on stainless.
you and the Mrs keep up the good work. if it weren't for volunteers like you folks, alot of small towns would be in deep weeds!

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Sean

I have always heard good things about Simichrome (sp?). I believe it comes in a toothpaste type tube.

EMSjunkie

One of the drivers at the station is building a 56 Chevy, he was telling me about Simichrome, its good stuff, but its pricey. gonna try Wenol first, then see what happens. Thanks for the info 8)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Rob

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"Hey Bill, glad to see other rodders helping out! I have been a Paramedic for about 16 years, am also a Respiratory Therapist.

Vance

Hey nice to see another RRT/RRCP here, I thought I was the only one!

Rob

EMSjunkie

Hey Rob, glad to see another fellow snot sucker amongst the rodding crowd!   Especially one from the Great White North.
Catch ya later, gotta go fetch some air compressor parts, blew out a piston seal.

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders