New inverter TIG welder suggestions anyone?

Started by Beck, August 12, 2011, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I started looking at new TIG machines today. It seems online everyone is talking about the Miller Dynasty 250. We just recieved one at work yesterday but I haven't tried it yet. It is set up for stick or TIG. It is an awfully small package to do what is claimed of it.
I was at The Purple Sage Trading Post last year at this time and Sumner had a new machine but I don't recall the brand. (I'm thinking Lincoln) It was a small package also. He wanted me to try it out but at the time I wasn't interested. Wish I would have now. He had been doing all the aluminum welding necessary on his boat with it and was pleased.
Does anyone have any information to share about these new inverter machines. Lets hear the good, bad, and ugly.
The price seems high for the little box you get. From what I read they are available in different setups with foot feed / trigger feed / radiator / air cooled.
I have a huge old Miller Dialarc HF that never gets turned on. I was thinking with better equipment I might just relearn to TIG. Actually I have a friend that needs some nice work done.

unklian

The lower end of the market, is DC only.
Fine for steel or stainless, not Aluminum.

river1

i have a dynasty 200dx and love it.

small footprint
infinitely adjustable
will plug into any voltage
more energy efficient than a transformer machine

the inverter technology has been around since the 1940's or so.

i added a water cooled torch as i wanted the smaller torch head. "hey"say you don't need water cooling till about 200 amps.

sumner is a lincoln fan so that is the brand he probably owns

AC is needed for aluminum so if you have a need you'll need more than a basic level machine

get one you won't regret it.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

kb426

I bought an Eastwood 200 a few months ago. I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's ac/dc and dual voltage. It takes a 20 amp breaker to run it. For me the choice was between that and the Diversion 185. Because Eastwood has a 30 day return policy and a 3 year warranty, I gave it a try. I haven't run a full large argon through it yet but so far it's been good.
TEAM SMART

Beck

After thinking some more about my needs, my old machine may be plenty good for now. It's a dinosaur, but at one time they ruled the earth. The project that I intend to use it for is welding 1 3/4 or 2" DOM steel tubing. I don't need the aluminum capability for that, although the machine does have the high frequency.

It may be time to take it to my local welding repair shop for a tune up. It needs a couple of minor pieces (gun tail etc). I have had this machine for at least 10 years. I stick welded with it quite a bit 5 yr ago and that part worked well. When I got the machine I set up the tig portion and it did work.

At one time my machine had a cooling system, which is no longer there. Is it a problem to just run tap water through the torch and then sewer it for coolant?

Do the newer inverter machines make welding steel easier or prettier? The welds need to be pretty for this job. No grinding or filling allowed. The only cosmetics will be a couple coats of paint.

kb426

I'm not noticing any difference in weld quality. Your exp. may differ. :lol:
The pluses for me were the small space needed and the much lower amperage required. The diversion 185 has both foot and thumb controls. I only have foot with the Eastwood. That is a real downside for me but I didn't feel like it was $700 at this time. If I ever build more race cars, you may see this one for sale and I'll start over.
TEAM SMART

Old Blue

I would take a serious look at the new Miller Diversion machines if I were you.

I am a Welding Instructor and have been a pressure piping and vessel welder all my life.

I recently bought a Diversion 165 for my garage and I just love it. I bought a foot pedal for it.

It has high frequency start and will also do aluminum by switching to AC.

With an AC Inverter you can weld aluminum with a sharpened Ceriated tungsten.

I am really impressed with the machine, it welds beautifully.

kb426

In case anyone is looking for a low cost deal, Eastwood went down to $750 for a few days on their tig. Makes me proud of mine at $900!
TEAM SMART