hardtop windows

Started by dvanecek, August 03, 2004, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvanecek

Hello,

More questions here on the '50.  I plan on choppin the top after the running gear is set. I would like to put set it up for hardtop windows.  I have windows from a hadtop cat to get the window to window gasket, but how hard is the rest like modifyind doors and back side window.  
I figure I will have move the channels but how hard is it to modify roof to accept the windows.  I sure this will make more sense once I cut the top I just want plan.  Also I travel alot for work so I spend more time thinkin than I do wrenchin.  Thinkin has gotten me over my head more than once but atleast this time I have a support team

Thanks,

Dave

jaybee

I was going to let someone else chime in on this one because I haven't done it or looked really close at how a finished hardtop conversion was put together, but some of the best and brightest are probably at the Nats this week so here goes.

I'd take a good look at a hardtop and see just how it's put together.  Keep in mind that your original windows go up into a slot in the door but the hardtop windows sit up against a gasket that's one sided.  That gasket goes against a shape that's completely different from a non-hardtop door frame.

Also, the door window moves slightly rearward as it rises and the quarter window slightly forward to get the glass inside the door and rear quarter.

It's a big, complicated modification but a real knockout when done properly.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

dvanecek

The good thing is that I have a '69 fury that is a hardtop to get parts from and refer to. The only problem is that it's a four door.   I would like to talk to someone who has done the conversion.  

That's a good point about the rear windows.  I knew would have to modify doors and the body to move the windows closer.  

I was also wondering about the top edge.  Do you just remold the old door contact point with weth stripping or what?  

Thanks,

Dave