Gave myself a real lift this morning...

Started by My52Chebby, July 27, 2011, 02:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

BEFORE PICTURE...

... AFTER PICTURE (4 hours later... temporary wiring)

Now, I should get back to work on my truck...

My52Chebby

wvcab

nice,

what do you use  the silica sand for?

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

GPster

Quote from: "wvcab"nice,what do you use  the silica sand for?
It's probably for that blasting cabinet by the garage door. Were those pictures taken on the same day? How much of a foundation do those pillars need? GPster

My52Chebby

Quote from: "wvcab"nice,

what do you use  the silica sand for?

I have a ten gallon sand blaster to do the big piece outside. The small sandblaster cabinet in the corner uses a volcanic rock type abrasive (or glass bead... depending on the job).

My52Chebby

wayne petty

i was going to say.. we should all hoist one for you...

but..   you seem to have the hoist... :D

congrats anyway....

are  you going to install several piano wires across the inside of your shop  springs at one end.. through eyelets... and some kind of bell or switch when the wire gets deflected... so you know to stop the car before it smashes the garage door opener or the roof rafters..  

think of a tight bell rope on a transit bus...  yank the rope and the bell rings...  

either that or a mirror on the wall at an angle... or even one hanging from a rafter so you can look straight up while working the lever..

just ideas...

My52Chebby

Nah... I'm just going to throw a Whoopy Cushion on the roof of cars and when it farts I'll stop the hoist... LOL

Seriously though, I do intend to relocate the garage door opener closer to the door, I had extended the chain run because that opener is for an 8 foot door and my garage doors are 9 feet. My ceiling/upstairs floor is made of 2 foot engineered wooden beams. I am going to redesign the portion of the ceiling above the hoist with 1 foot beams, giving me an additional foot of height.

That will give me 11'-4" floor to ceiling above the hoist floor. I should be able to stand up under most vehicles.

Thanks for your input and ideas.

My52Chebby

Quote from: "wayne petty"i was going to say.. we should all hoist one for you...

but..   you seem to have the hoist... :D

congrats anyway....

are  you going to install several piano wires across the inside of your shop  springs at one end.. through eyelets... and some kind of bell or switch when the wire gets deflected... so you know to stop the car before it smashes the garage door opener or the roof rafters..  

think of a tight bell rope on a transit bus...  yank the rope and the bell rings...  

either that or a mirror on the wall at an angle... or even one hanging from a rafter so you can look straight up while working the lever..

just ideas...

wayne petty

a really good rolling chair... that will recline slightly...   let you work under the car with the hoist part way up  for hours without needing to be on your knees bent backwards..

some kind of cart for your tools  to make them easy to grab also..  along with a cup holder...

i was always wishing for a folding table on wheels that i could hang on the back or side of my roll away when not in use... but then my tool box runnith over...

UGLY OLDS

Quotebut then my tool box runnith over...
[/quote]

WOW ....That makes Frank's box look organized  :!:   :shock:  

You need a visit from "Glen"....... :lol:  :lol:  :idea:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

taxpyer

Love the hoist  :wink: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but Wayne if you don't get my tool box back inside my shop by the end of the weekend I'm gonna call the cops!  :shock: I'd recognise it anywhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wait a minute mine has more stickers on it. :lol:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

wvcab

i was asking about the silica sand, because some folks are not aware of the dangers.

QuoteOften abrasive blasting with sands containing crystalline silica can cause serious or fatal respiratory disease.

The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health studied 99 cases of silicosis from exposure to crystalline silica during sandblasting during the late 1990's. Of the 99 workers reported, 14 have died from the disease, and at the time of the study the remaining 85 were at risk of death from silicosis and its complications.
When workers inhale the crystalline silica used in abrasive blasting, the lung tissue reacts by developing fibrotic nodules and scarring around the trapped silica particles. This fibrotic condition of the lung is called silicosis. If the nodules grow too large, breathing becomes difficult and death may result. Silicosis victims are also at high risk of developing active tuberculosis.
The Silica sand used in abrasive blasting typically fractures into fine particles and becomes airborne. Inhalation of such silica appears to produce a more severe lung reaction than silica that is not freshly fractured. This factor may contribute to the development of acute and accelerated forms of silicosis among sandblasters.
Ventilation controls for reducing crystalline silica exposures are not used in most industries. Studies have found that even in short-term sandblasting operations (less than 2 ? hours of blasting during an 8-hour workday), the average concentration of crystalline silica was 764 micrograms per cubic meter (µg/m3), with an average silica content of 25.5%. This average dust concentration was twice the 1974 standard of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

In a 1974 study of respiratory protection practices during abrasive blasting, the protection factors for supplied-air respirators with helmets ranged from 1.9 to 3,750. This wide range was attributed to the varied conditions of the equipment rather than to the superiority of any brand. Maintenance was universally poor or nonexistent, and the persons responsible for selecting respiratory protection for abrasive blasting were inadequately informed about the proper use and maintenance of such equipment. The higher protection factors were associated with high rates of helmet air flow, but these high flow rates increased noise levels as a result of air turbulence. The study also indicated that the air inlets were too noisy and that the blasters' helmets tended to fall from the wearers' shoulders when they stooped.

Prohibition of Silica in Abrasive Blasting

Because of the high risk for silicosis in sandblasters and the difficulty in controlling exposures, the use of crystalline silica for blast cleaning operations was prohibited in Great Britain in 1950 [Factories Act 1949] and in other European countries in 1966. In 1974, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health recommended that silica sand (or other substances containing more than 1% free silica) be prohibited as abrasive blasting material and that less hazardous materials be used in blasting operations.

sorry for the long post, but lungs are needed to live.