output shaft runout

Started by enjenjo, July 25, 2011, 08:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

i missed my point...  

perhaps the smooth part of the yoke did not slide into the transmission far enough.. (smooth part too short)  there are different length yoke pilots for different applications..

for everybody .. how about a link i ran across.. might be a little more angle than most are used to working with.. but knowledge cannot hurt.. unless the book its in falls on your toes..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-shaft/index.html

there are more links at the bottom..

i am not trying to grease up some other sites shaft.. i am universal in my cross postings..   sometimes i feel like a ZIRC..  other times i feel like the grease gun..  under a lot of pressure.. ready to try to smooth out anybodies problems.. .

enjenjo

On the new shaft, I used a yoke that was an inch longer than the old one, there is 5" of yoke ahead of the seal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1800guy

Glad to hear you figured it out - I've been running it past a couple of friends and the conclusion was "everything has been checked - it must be okay"  :?
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

enjenjo

About 25 years ago I did a 4x4 conversion on a near new Ford E350 van. It had a harmonic vibration at about 50 mph and up. This was a three shaft conversion, with a divorced transfer case. First, I replaced all the driveshafts one by one, no change. I then had new shafts made with all new parts, no change. I rebearinged the transfer case, no change. Got another transfer case, rebuilt it completely, no change. New mounts, no change. Checked all Ujoint angles, all good. No change. Finally in desperation, I took the bolts out of the trans mount, and drove it down the road, in about a mile it quit vibrating. I shifted to neutral, and stopped the van. Slid under it, and the trans mount was setting about 1/2" to the right of the holes in the crossmember. I took it back to the shop, and slotted the holes, bolted it down, no more vibration. It ran for 200,000 miles before it was scrapped, and no more problems.

The strange thing is, with the new mount position, the engine centerline was no longer perpendicular to the rear axle, but it worked that way, and not when set up correctly
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.