Shop fan

Started by jaybee, July 05, 2011, 09:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I have an old furnace blower as well...I don't want to lift it into the rafters and I like being able to put the blower where I want it.  One of the things I've considered for that one is building a fixture to feed exhaust pipes directly to the center of the squirrel cage so it can be pumped outside.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

1800guy

I mounted a furnace fan on a two-wheel dolly, so I can move it around the shop to the best location.  My shop doors face east and west, so I  can move air from the shady side to the sunny side.  An added advantage is that when you move it while it's running, it cleans the floor as well.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

jaybee

Mine has no wheels but I have a two wheeler with a fold down, extended tongue that slides underneath and moves it easily.  I've rigged guards for the belt and to keep objects out of the blower from each side.  Makes a little noise because one of the oilite bushings is on the loose side but that's easily fixed.

As for the overhead fan it's coming together well.  I just need to close in one side of the plenum and screen over the soffit vent.

UGLY OLDS

QuoteAn added advantage is that when you move it while it's running, it cleans the floor as well.
[/quote]

Brilliant  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  :idea:  );b(

Why didn't I think of that   :?:  :?:

That will save my wife a LOT of time cleaning the shop ..... :lol:

( Besides ...The leaf blower she used to use recently gave up... And the noise that it made during the cleaning ....It was SOOO  hard to watch TV out there ........ :roll:  :roll:  )

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

wayne petty

sorry  i ran across this low cost ducting idea laying in a trash can..

thought i would blow it by you guys...

http://thereifixedit.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/white-trash-repairs-side-air-more-convenient-than-central.jpg

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "taxpyer"
Crosely, how much does it cost to heat your shop with the heat pump and how big is your shop?

I seldom need to heat the shop here.  

I run the heat pump in the a/c mode for several months in the summer.  About 110.00 dollars a month to kool the shop to 84 during the week, I turn it down to 80*F on the weekends.

My shop is 2800 sq foot, 13 foot high ceiling
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

OK, finally have the pics I took back so I can wrap up my description of the project.  I'm pretty happy with it.  Between the ceiling fan evacuating hot air from high in the building and a squirrel cage fan blowing in from the front I can keep the inside temp right at ambient on sunny days for the first time ever.