Cab to frame mating...

Started by My52Chebby, June 19, 2011, 03:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi gang,

When I worked at Canadair (Canadian Aircraft Co.) the mating of the wing assembly to the fuselage was a VERY BIG DEAL... This morning I recreated that sensation in my mind with the mating of my truck's cab to its frame.

Here is the view that blew me away when I came down the stairs (from my upper shop storage area) for the first time after "The Mating"...

Here it is at floor level...

My all consuming concern before the installation was borne of a decision I took to move the engine back one whole inch to clear the air conditioning compressor at the front cross-member. Even after taking a multitude of measurements and mocking up a cardboard floor, I wasn't sure whether I had enough clearance between the RHS valve cover and the floor (lower firewall)... Once the cab was bolted in place my fears dissolved instantly...

The side view tells a better story...

Luckily, when an engine torques, it wants to raise the LHS valve cover, so I seem to have dodged the bullet with this problem. I may still have a hard time taking the valve cover off to adjust the valves but at least I won't have to do bodywork on the lower firewall that already has its final base coat / clear coat (along with the under floor).

Phew!!!

My52Chebby
p.s.: The blue on the cab itself is tinted high build, not base coat.

UGLY OLDS

That's nice .... :D     I LIKE it ..... 8)    A   NICE  color  that's not seen everyday...... :b-d:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

jaybee

Looks to me like you put the engine RIGHT where it needs to be.  Nice work, can't wait to see more.  I do like the color, too.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chris spokes

awesome ,i can't wait till mine is that advanced  8) keep the pix coming
he who has the most toys wins

chimp koose

nice colour choice! I like the body and engine the same colour.

57larry

a very nice clean looking truck. will be a looker

Old Blue

Removing valve covers might be a chore !

My52Chebby

... with this ever since the cab was mated to the frame.

Well, last night I made the decision. I will eventually move the engine FORWARD the inch that I moved it back.

I just purchased a set of Juliano's Pro Clamp exhaust flanges ($200.+). Those will extend my exhaust pipe at least one inch (I can adjust the bracket to fit) but I will still have to have a new driveshaft tube made (was quoted $300.+... ouch!) and modify the tranny bracket (again).

I know that's an expensive mistake but it is also an improvement to my exhaust system and of course better access to pulling off the distributor and the valve covers.

BUT... Before I do any of this, I will assemble the front clip to see how much space I have left for the electric fan and fan shroud with the engine moved forward that inch...

I'll let you guys now so that it may help others not make the same mistake I did.

My52Chebby

UGLY OLDS

QuoteI know that's an expensive mistake but it is also an improvement to my exhaust system and of course better access to pulling off the distributor and the valve covers

Before you do this ...Think about something .....  :?    Are the distributor & valve covers removable now  :?:  ( Maybe a little "tight" but removeable  :?:  )

Try removing them NOW before you move anything .... :idea:  See how hard it actually is .....

Just how often do you plan on removing the distributor & valve covers  :?:  :?:  :?:

I just hate to see you mess up work that has been completed VERY nicely ....... 8)
Bob........... :wink:

My52Chebby

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
QuoteI know that's an expensive mistake but it is also an improvement to my exhaust system and of course better access to pulling off the distributor and the valve covers

Before you do this ...Think about something .....  :?    Are the distributor & valve covers removable now  :?:  ( Maybe a little "tight" but removeable  :?:  )

Try removing them NOW before you move anything .... :idea:  See how hard it actually is .....

Just how often do you plan on removing the distributor & valve covers  :?:  :?:  :?:

I just hate to see you mess up work that has been completed VERY nicely ....... 8)
Bob........... :wink:

Ugly Olds,

I took your advice and checked if the valve cover could be removed without much hassle and it came off easily.

All I had to do was tilt the valve cover towards the header a bit and it rotated around the rockers no problem.

So, I will NOT be moving the engine forward, which will help in the electric fan department. I will install the Pro-Clamps I bought for my exhaust system though.

Thank you very much for your sage advice.

My52Chebby

kb426

Quit smiling and get back to work! :)
TEAM SMART

rumrumm

Dodged the bullet, didn't you? Cool truck!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

Happy that my idea worked .... :D       That is a NICE --NICE   truck.... 8)

Bob ......... :wink: