Setting door glass

Started by Okiedokie, June 04, 2011, 07:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

I have done this a few times in the past with no problem. However I am having a time with my 40 coupe glass. I have the NuRelics channel, and new door glass. I have 1/16 and 1/8 cork/rubber tape and bought some new 1/8 Butyl[?] rubber tape at Springfield NSRA last weekend. The 1/16 is too thin, the 1/8 is too thin also. Using a combo of each is too thick. I was told that the glass guys are using 3M Window Weld urethane and setting the glass with it. So I went to NAPA and got a tube. Napa said no primer needed, but the instructions seem to say yes it is. Anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks.

UGLY OLDS

Joe ..I have always used 1/8" cork/rubber in standard size channels with 1/4" glass......

Don't forget ..It swells once you soak in it oil &  spreads to grip the glass .   I once had 1/8" tape swell so bad setting a 1/4" glass window that is splt the "questionable/rusty" channel in half ....( The Boss said it would work...I ALWAYS listen to the Boss...)

Try a 1" long piece on the glass in the channel..Let it sit & swell for 24 hours & see how tight it is .... :idea:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

Soak it in oil? Wow, never did that. I have always put tape on glass and set the glass on heavily padded table then use rubber mallet to pound channel down onto glass. That has always worked for me, till now. So you soak how long before setting glass into channel? How long before it holds glass firmly? Thanks for the tips.

enjenjo

You don't need the primer for the urethane. I make a shim out of the glass setting tape, actually three of them, one at each end and one in the middle, each about 1/2" long. Put the urethane in the channel, and set the glass in it. When it starts to set up, trim off any excess urethane. I use a tape line on both sides of the glass, pull the tape off at the right time, and no further trimming will be needed.

A CAUTION, make sure you have it right. You will destroy the glass getting it out if it's set up, and you did it wrong.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Thanks for the urethane tip, believe that is what I will do. Still like to know about the oil deal though.

UGLY OLDS

All I do is cut the tape to length ...Fold it around the edge of the glass ...
 THEN ..Before using the rubber mallet to tap the glass in , run a "bead" of motor oil along the length of the tape & tap it into the channel ... The oil gets absorbed by the cork in the tape & "swells" the tape ..It spreads out to fill the channel & "squeezes" inward to "grip" the glass ... Works REALLY well on vent glass installation ..... :idea:  
Try putting some oil on a scrap piece of tape & look at it the next AM ..... :shock:

Bob....... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Okiedokie

Got it Bob, thanks for the education guys.