Tornado in Joplin, Mo.

Started by Carnut, May 22, 2011, 08:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnut

Have heard of Tornado in Joplin, has anyone heard anything from members there like WZJUNK?

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x433426155/Widespread-damage-reported-after-tornado

river1

from that story the damage was north joplin, john lives in Neosho which is south of joplin. so hopefully john is not danger.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Rrumbler

I heard on the 11 o'clock news here in Las Vegas that over 75% of Joplin was virtually destroyed.  Made my heart trip a step or two; this storm season has been a nasty booger.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

enjenjo

John lives south of there about 20 miles, so hopefully he is ok. But Jim C and his wife live right where the storm went through. Jim lurks here, I hope they are ok.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Both JimC and John (WZJunk) are both fine.  Sam, John's brother, stated he was fine on the HAMB and JimC checked in himself.  Carl, MoKanMan is fine along with Ryno, Suit, and a few others that are in the immediant area.  One HAMB member, Bob (47Ply) had his home completely distroyed.  His '47 Plymouth convertible seems to be ok, with just alittle bit of damage.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone in the area.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

kb426

TEAM SMART

jaybee

Good to know, thanks Denise.  That was one ugly storm, it's striking how everywhere the cameras look virtually everything has been destroyed.  It reminds me of New Orleans, where block after block is completely gone after the flood.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Charlie Chops 1940

John and Sam are both okay. Sam said one went south of Neosho also.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

WZ JUNK

Thanks for checking on us.  We are fine but another event may be on the way this evening.   I have limited cell service and no internet or land lines at home.  I am checking in from the school computer.

Now you know why I built the fraidy hole in the back yard.  We have used it several times.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

wayne petty

2:50 pacific time..   tornados approaching piedmont Ok..  1/4 to 1/2 mile wide... live coverage on some news channels at least here in los angeles..

another storms at 39 miles per hour.. due east.. heading for tulsa from  OK city OK... following north of 44...

warning from dallas to denver and heading east...

wayne petty

jut curious.. if the mississippi and other rivers spreading out during flood stage could be evaporating additional moisture into the atmosphere to feed these extra strong storm cells...

WZ JUNK

We got one of our land lines fixed today and my internet provider is back online.  Cell service is still poor but it is working.  The reason AT&T was able to work on my service is that there are so many people in the way at the tornado site that the technicians can not get around in that area.  The radio and TV stations are telling everyone to stay away but they still go into that area and cause gridlock.  The city is starting to issue passes to those people who need to be there.  Two policemen were struck by lightening monday while there were directing traffic.  

Forcast now is just thunderstorms but some bad weather is to the north near Kansas City.

Sam and I are still planning to attend the NSRA Mid America Nationals this coming weekend at Springfield, MO.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

41woodie

Well most of Guthrie, Ok. dodged the bullet of the tornado that damaged Piedmont, Ok.  We had some damage on the north side of town, several homes severly damaged.  Also some severe damage to the a golf course and homes that border the course west of town.
I was watching the sky to the west as the tornado approached and when I noticed big pieces of sheet metal, cloth and other debris swirling around waaay up in the air above our place I decided that I was tired of looking out the door and headed for cover.
We passed through Joplin today on the way to Springfield NSRA.  There was some severe damage along I-44 but we didn't try to get off at an exit and rubberneck.  Those poor folks are having enough hell without every lookie-lou in the world wandering around the damaged area.
Bad tornado season this year, one of the worst I remember, since the F5 storm that hit Del City/Midwest City/Moore/Oklahoma City in 1999, that one still holds the record for the strongest recorded wind 301mph

Boyd Who

Most of southern Manitoba is under a tornado watch right now. We don't usually get hit with big ones, but they do happen.