O/T, Internet questions

Started by jaybee, August 01, 2004, 11:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

1.  Where can you get the Java necessary to participate in chat rooms here and elsewhere?  I have IE 6.0.2800 and chat no longer works.  Happened after a Windows Update.  I'm sure it's because Microsoft is no longer allowed to use it's own "Microsoft Java" and they won't participate in the real thing.

2.  Getting ready to switch to DSL using a self-install kit and external modem through a network card (same setup as my current cable connection).  Anything I need to be sure to do, avoid, handle, or take care with?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"1.  Where can you get the Java necessary to participate in chat rooms here and elsewhere?  I have IE 6.0.2800 and chat no longer works.  Happened after a Windows Update.  I'm sure it's because Microsoft is no longer allowed to use it's own "Microsoft Java" and they won't participate in the real thing.

2.  Getting ready to switch to DSL using a self-install kit and external modem through a network card (same setup as my current cable connection).  Anything I need to be sure to do, avoid, handle, or take care with?

I got the same problem only ive got netscape installed too and the chat works on it. I downloaded all kinds of java @#%T and none of it wants to work although explorer shows its there.. If you figure out how to make it work pass it along..
Dave

Brother Love

Quote from: "jaybee"1.  Where can you get the Java necessary to participate in chat rooms here and elsewhere?  I have IE 6.0.2800 and chat no longer works.  Happened after a Windows Update.  I'm sure it's because Microsoft is no longer allowed to use it's own "Microsoft Java" and they won't participate in the real thing.

Since I am not much of a car guy, I figured I would jump in on a question that leaned more towards my expertise.

First, check on Sun Microsystems site for the plug in

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

On a DSL modem install, check to make sure you follow the directions TO A TEE.  You will need to put filters on your phone lines for those lines that will not be receiving data.  It will be explained in the self-install guide.  Other than that, there is not much more to a DSL installation from a cable installation.
Beep boop bop, I am a robot

Brother Love

Dave

I tried it again since its a newer version and the same S$%t ill just use netscape when i use the chat which inst very often anyway.
Dave

Brother Love

Quote from: "N8DC"I tried it again since its a newer version and the same S$%t ill just use netscape when i use the chat which inst very often anyway.
Dave

OK, sorry a reinstall didn't fix it for you.  I will keep looking for an answer for it.
Beep boop bop, I am a robot

Brother Love

jaybee

Thanks for the advice, all.  The DSL self-install was absolutely flawless.  I backed up all my internet favorites and email address book but didn't need the backups.  I still have a message board or 2 and some email newsletters where I need to change email addy but pretty painless.

The Java plugin works too, although time prevented me from joining chat last night.

If anyone else is considering a switch to DSL I say go for it!  We are extremely pleased.  I've long suspected my cable modem wasn't giving us the speed they advertise, now I'm sure.  Our DSL is only 256k but of course the cable company's "1.5M" is shared across the entire neighborhood.  Not only is the new service faster, it's also about half the cost even with MSN.  If we had gone with the 640k it still would have saved us $15/mo.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Pep

Yep...DSL is the go, but only available if you have direct copper. It will not work over any sort of pair gain. There is quite a bit of it here in Oz. I work for a Telco that provides it. I could get it for free in my support role, but alas I can't get copper to my home.
See Ya
Pep

Dave

Quote from: "jaybee"Thanks for the advice, all.  The DSL self-install was absolutely flawless.  I backed up all my internet favorites and email address book but didn't need the backups.  I still have a message board or 2 and some email newsletters where I need to change email addy but pretty painless.

The Java plugin works too, although time prevented me from joining chat last night.

If anyone else is considering a switch to DSL I say go for it!  We are extremely pleased.  I've long suspected my cable modem wasn't giving us the speed they advertise, now I'm sure.  Our DSL is only 256k but of course the cable company's "1.5M" is shared across the entire neighborhood.  Not only is the new service faster, it's also about half the cost even with MSN.  If we had gone with the 640k it still would have saved us $15/mo.

I tested the cable today
Speed
4 megabits per second

Communications 4 megabits per second
Storage 491.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.1 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Explain results

Info
Date & time Tuesday, August 10, 7:57PM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Cable