Sheet metal tools

Started by kb426, April 17, 2011, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

I'm a believer in "you get what you pay for" to a certain extent. That being said, if you're only going to use something once or twice, it doesn't seem to be good business to buy the best and let it sit. After I finished up the 32 3 years ago, I bought some of H.F.'s finest. A planishing hammer and an english wheel. I haven't had reason to use them until the bike project that I'm currently working on. I used the wheel this last week. Most of what I've read in the last few years has stated that it's too flimsy. I concur with that. Trying to get it to repeat was real tough. I used the planishing hammer twice in the last 2 days. It actually works. I read somewhere that of the two, that the hammer was more useful. I can see that seems to be correct. I'm an amateur with both these tools but I have great interest in learning about them. Now I wonder how a good one would work.   :lol: When this project is completed, I will overhaul the wheel. There have been several threads on how to repair them so the engineering should be short. Learning is a privilege of life.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

I agree. Some of harbor freight's stuff is good as is, it works good without problems. I have gotten good service out of their die grinders, as good as the high dollar ones. Some work good with a little modification as they are basically sound. engine stands and so forth. Other tools are junk from the git go.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a small bench top Metal Ace wheel that came with one medium radius wheel. A year or two ago I was in the HF store in GR and they had a 6 wheel set on sale for about 1/3 -$35 or so -of their regular price. I bought them, and with minor rework they now fit my machine. They are quite true and have increased what the machine can do.

Given my ham handed methods they are just as good as a $500 set.

But, you have to be careful at HF. I bought a roll of .023 mig wire - it was cheap, and not worth bringing home.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Uncle Bob

I generally don't care for the import stuff that's iffy either, but as said, every once in awhile you can talk yourself into it.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a used HF 3 in 1 machine; pan brake, shear, and slip roll.  Well, picked up is a relative term, it weighs over 400 pounds!  I only got to use it once before heading down here to the desert but the brake works well for 18, and seemed okay for 16ga so if that's all I get out of it I'll be happy.  Haven't played with the slip roll part yet, but the shear portion is crap.  Since it's used it may be from prior abuse, but you have to hunt for a spot along the 40" length where it will cut rather than bend.  I think I can fix it with some dressing and shim stock, but will have to wait til I get back north to see.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.