Battery Cables

Started by 40, April 16, 2011, 12:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I asked in my former thread regarding electrical connectors but perhaps nobody saw it....The question, Is 2 gauge heavy enough or do I need 1 gauge ......The cable will be about 8'or 9' long.Is the insulated covering on welding cable tough enough? I usually just run the ground cable to the chassis but a buddy told me the very best ground is if I run it all the way to one of the starter bolts.....what do you think? Thanks!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

enjenjo

2 is plenty heavy enough. I would not use welding cable myself, it wicks moisture into the cable from the air. I use vinyl insulated battery cable, and put sealed ends on it to keep out moisture. I ground directly to the engine assembly, then ground the frame and body from that. I seldom have cable problems, even after years of use.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "enjenjo"2 is plenty heavy enough. I would not use welding cable myself, it wicks moisture into the cable from the air. I use vinyl insulated battery cable, and put sealed ends on it to keep out moisture. I ground directly to the engine assembly, then ground the frame and body from that. I seldom have cable problems, even after years of use.

What enjenjo said!  I just did my 40 pickup  and did what he said, works fine.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Mr Cool

And DONT solder the ends onto the cable, have them crimped properly. Soldering will make a hard joint, and with fatigue it will eventually fail.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.